What have you blown your money on?

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the people who have blown the most money in the past year are those who have spent money on things that they later realized they shouldn't have. They also spent a lot of money on things that they didn't use, such as cigarettes and nightlife.
Desiree
Sometimes we buy or spend money on some stuff to later come to realize that we really shouldn't have spent that much money.

Here is the list of things which I bought last year that I really regret it now:

1-Blew over $900 on 12 Colognes!
2-Blew $400 on a leather jacket!
3-Blew $450 on a pair of Versace eye-glasses!

Please feel free to share with us what you bought in the past that you really think you shouldn't have bought it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poor quality shoes.

I keep giving people pop money when it's clear the person already has it and is just trying to milk me.

Junk food/Eating out.
I'v got about 3 dvds so far this year.

Other then that I haven't really spent much money this year on "stuff"

A grand total of... About 700$ (Probably more, I just did some quick math in my head) on high quality collective figures and building kits over the past three years. Yargh. At least they look pretty on my shelf.

I replaced an electrical device (€160) after it fell on the ground and I thought it was broken. Soon after I found out that the original one wasn't broken, but the battery was just empty the moment it touched the floor.. duhh..

I also just splurged money on two Hilfiger dresses, but they were on 40% discount, so that's not a bad deal. The worst is spending money on something that you're not going to use, such as bad quality shoes (like lisab mentioned).

Cigarettes.Since giving up in January I have saved about £600.:biggrin:

Dadface said:
Cigarettes.Since giving up in January I have saved about £600.:biggrin:

First year is the toughest. Keep up the good work!

I tried to think of what I've blown my money on but, since I'm married, I don't have any money. :tongue:

photography

Sure you can shoot pix with a kodak click gotcha, but somehow I'm obsessed spending a couple of grand on SLR bodies, lenses, flash and what not.

Tomorrow or wednesday I hope to tick off another 700 euro on a new SLR body (Canon 550D). Anybody interested in a two year old used Canon 450D /w 18-55mm IS? with only 10,800 shots on the shutter.

Edit: sold out :grumpy:
Now, wait 14 days or look around for other retailers?

Last edited:
At one time I wanted to run a server farm in my living room, so I blew a couple grand on four 1U chassis servers and a rack with switches and routers. Everything was nice, until I started getting fed up with how loud it all was - buzzing like hundreds of bee hives. Eventually I started to dismantle it and selling it on ebay piece by piece, until I got 90% money back.

I purchased some two years ago, MTW textbook, haven't used it much, though I haven't touched on GR yet, hopefully this summer I'll start with some less heavier textbooks on GR.

Another textbook which seemed a good purchase at the time was John Barwise's handbook in mathematical logic, I haven't used it since taken my Logic course, and I am not going to be a researcher in matamath, at least not in the forseeable future.

Over the years, I have a collection of RPG books, boardgames and miniatures that cost quite a bit of money. I really like playing games but don't have anyone nearby to play them with. I guess they will go on ebay, sigh!

I'll occasionally buy a textbook on an interesting subject even though I'm not in school. While the intention of learning about the subject doesn't mean I've blown that money... the fact that I'll likely not read the textbook very much does!

Nightlife

Desiree said:
Sometimes we buy or spend money on some stuff to later come to realize that we really shouldn't have spent that much money.

Telescope.

I wish I had asked how much exactly do you think you have blown?...so we could see who has wasted more:"winner#1", or "loser#1" I should say:cry:

But one thing for sure is, the US government has been AND always will be the loser#1, for all the billions of tax $$ spent on wars!

I haven't "blown" much money recently, but events have conspired to make me spend. Leaking bladder-tank on our drilled well, failed toilet that practically drained the well, and required replacement (have you priced toilets?!), and other expenses. Luckily, I was able to fix the washing machine, though I have no clue how taking that POS apart and putting back together with no evident faults "fixed" it.

I spent $300 on a Char-Griller Trio, but that's not "blown" money. I have cooked on it almost every day for the last week, including a nice cookout for our neighbors. It will pay for itself in good times very shortly.

Books, that expense amounts to several thousands of dollars a year. Many of which I still have yet to read.

Greenpeace donation collectors

bastards tricked me,

first these two people come to my door,
they say "what is your view on whaling"
I said "it's crap"
"so you don't support whaling"
"no"
"do you support green peace?"
"yes of course"

can't remember the rest of the conversation
but I ended up giving them my god damn credit card number, and now I'm 20 bucks short EVERY GOD DAMN MONTH

bloody greenpeace...

biggest waste of money ever,
have they actually done anything?
NO
so I said

Random people showed up at your door and you gave them your cc number? Sorry man that's got to suck :(

magpies said:
Random people showed up at your door and you gave them your cc number? Sorry man that's got to suck :(
Even worse if the charges show up every month... :confused:

Yeah, I'm from New Zealand though, so I'm morally obliged as a citizen to give money to "help the environment"

however I think my money would better be invested in food for my stomach, because it will help me study, and then i'll be better at physics and be able to help the world more once I'm done.
lol.

Shoes~ one cannot have enough of them... last count was about 65-ish and still going, and I can't stop! It's an addiction I have... I love to shop!

I need to get some new glasses but eh...

200 dollar- sunglasses (lost/stolen)
1200 dollar- media cente
----------------------->these combined make for the favorite thing I own
900 dollar- fifty inch tv
400 dollar- xbox 360
75 dollar- puppy +60 +150 +75 +55 +150 +35... stupid dog
200 dollars- a month (average)- girlfriend

Yep, lots of splirging...

1600 unfortunate dollars on an alienware pos laptop. Regrettable.

lisab said:
Poor quality shoes.

Agree, this is a big one. And lace.

mcknia07 said:
Shoes~ one cannot have enough of them... last count was about 65-ish and still going, and I can't stop! It's an addiction I have... I love to shop!

You must be related to my wife. She bought 4 new pairs just this weekend...

For me, blown money... a new lawn mower (~$200) when I forgot to clean the gears on the drive shaft on the old one after my garage got flooded (salt water). I cleaned the spark plugs, wheel joints and everything else I could think of last fall after I let everything dry out. I was able to start it. But this spring when I went to mow the lawn... well things didn't run so well.

Blown money = any bits for my car. Tinkering is becoming an expensive addiction.

Just did the suspension, saved about £90 but it REALLY wasn't worth the hassle doing it myself. Hands = shredded, back = in pain, fingers so mucky that no amount of scrubbing will get it off.

mcknia07 said:
I so want to buy shoes, but I've been able to control myself :biggrin:

I had 2 vintage motor bikes, total spend to get them re built about £8000, i sold them for £6000 when i had to move to a place with no garage.
I also spent about £3oo on skid lid and leathers.
My latest mis use of money is galaxy minstrel chocolates £3 for 2 bags per week.

i

Telescope - $3000
Mid-fi music system - $8000
Property tax late payment penalty - $600

Video games. I do not exactly feel that the money was blown as it gives me something to do that is cheaper than going out but I often spend more on them then I probably ought to.

Supplements, ear-rings and sometimes, perfumes :redface:

magpies said:
I keep giving people pop money when it's clear the person already has it and is just trying to milk me.

Junk food/Eating out.
I'v got about 3 dvds so far this year.

Other then that I haven't really spent much money this year on "stuff"

This made me laugh. I would also considering buying 3 dvd's a waste of money, and do consider spending money on junk food a waste. Other than that I have no expenses lol.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Video games. I do not exactly feel that the money was blown as it gives me something to do that is cheaper than going out but I often spend more on them then I probably ought to.

I've developed a tendency as of late to buy video games and then not play them. Especially PC games.

Then again, I'm a video game elitist.