Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What have you blown your money on?

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    Sometimes we buy or spend money on some stuff to later come to realize that we really shouldn't have spent that much money.

Here is the list of things which I bought last year that I really regret it now:

1-Blew over $900 on 12 Colognes!
    2-Blew $400 on a leather jacket!
    3-Blew $450 on a pair of Versace eye-glasses!

Please feel free to share with us what you bought in the past that you really think you shouldn't have bought it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Poor quality shoes.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    I keep giving people pop money when it's clear the person already has it and is just trying to milk me.

Junk food/Eating out.
    I'v got about 3 dvds so far this year.

Other then that I haven't really spent much money this year on "stuff"

5. May 30, 2010 #4
    A grand total of... About 700$ (Probably more, I just did some quick math in my head) on high quality collective figures and building kits over the past three years. Yargh. At least they look pretty on my shelf.

6. May 31, 2010 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I replaced an electrical device (€160) after it fell on the ground and I thought it was broken. Soon after I found out that the original one wasn't broken, but the battery was just empty the moment it touched the floor.. duhh..

I also just splurged money on two Hilfiger dresses, but they were on 40% discount, so that's not a bad deal. The worst is spending money on something that you're not going to use, such as bad quality shoes (like lisab mentioned).

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    Cigarettes.Since giving up in January I have saved about £600.:biggrin:

8. May 31, 2010 #7

Borg

Gold Member

First year is the toughest. Keep up the good work!

I tried to think of what I've blown my money on but, since I'm married, I don't have any money. :tongue:

9. May 31, 2010 #8
    photography

Sure you can shoot pix with a kodak click gotcha, but somehow I'm obsessed spending a couple of grand on SLR bodies, lenses, flash and what not.

Tomorrow or wednesday I hope to tick off another 700 euro on a new SLR body (Canon 550D). Anybody interested in a two year old used Canon 450D /w 18-55mm IS? with only 10,800 shots on the shutter.

Edit: sold out :grumpy:
    Now, wait 14 days or look around for other retailers?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  10. May 31, 2010 #9
    At one time I wanted to run a server farm in my living room, so I blew a couple grand on four 1U chassis servers and a rack with switches and routers. Everything was nice, until I started getting fed up with how loud it all was - buzzing like hundreds of bee hives. Eventually I started to dismantle it and selling it on ebay piece by piece, until I got 90% money back.

11. May 31, 2010 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I purchased some two years ago, MTW textbook, haven't used it much, though I haven't touched on GR yet, hopefully this summer I'll start with some less heavier textbooks on GR.

Another textbook which seemed a good purchase at the time was John Barwise's handbook in mathematical logic, I haven't used it since taken my Logic course, and I am not going to be a researcher in matamath, at least not in the forseeable future.

12. May 31, 2010 #11
    Over the years, I have a collection of RPG books, boardgames and miniatures that cost quite a bit of money. I really like playing games but don't have anyone nearby to play them with. I guess they will go on ebay, sigh!

13. May 31, 2010 #12
    I'll occasionally buy a textbook on an interesting subject even though I'm not in school. While the intention of learning about the subject doesn't mean I've blown that money... the fact that I'll likely not read the textbook very much does!

14. May 31, 2010 #13
    Nightlife

15. May 31, 2010 #14
    Telescope.

16. May 31, 2010 #15
    I wish I had asked how much exactly do you think you have blown?...so we could see who has wasted more:"winner#1", or "loser#1" I should say:cry:

But one thing for sure is, the US government has been AND always will be the loser#1, for all the billions of tax $$ spent on wars!

17. May 31, 2010 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I haven't "blown" much money recently, but events have conspired to make me spend. Leaking bladder-tank on our drilled well, failed toilet that practically drained the well, and required replacement (have you priced toilets?!), and other expenses. Luckily, I was able to fix the washing machine, though I have no clue how taking that POS apart and putting back together with no evident faults "fixed" it.

I spent $300 on a Char-Griller Trio, but that's not "blown" money. I have cooked on it almost every day for the last week, including a nice cookout for our neighbors. It will pay for itself in good times very shortly.

18. May 31, 2010 #17
    Books, that expense amounts to several thousands of dollars a year. Many of which I still have yet to read.

19. May 31, 2010 #18
    Greenpeace donation collectors

bastards tricked me,

first these two people come to my door,
    they say "what is your view on whaling"
    I said "it's crap"
    "so you don't support whaling"
    "no"
    "do you support green peace?"
    "yes of course"

can't remember the rest of the conversation
    but I ended up giving them my god damn credit card number, and now i'm 20 bucks short EVERY GOD DAMN MONTH

bloody greenpeace...

biggest waste of money ever,
    have they actually done anything?
    NO
    so I said

20. May 31, 2010 #19
    Random people showed up at your door and you gave them your cc number? Sorry man that's gotta suck :(

21. May 31, 2010 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Even worse if the charges show up every month... :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook