What height was it thrown from.

• Thread starter theshanthan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the problem asks for the height from which a freely falling object was dropped, given that it takes 1.20 seconds to travel the last 34.0 m before hitting the ground. Using kinematic equations, one can find the velocity of the object at 34 m above ground and then use that velocity to determine the initial height from which the object was dropped.
theshanthan

Homework Statement

A certain freely falling object requires 1.20 s to travel the last 34.0 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

Homework Equations

v = v + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I really tried to do it in my notes and it is a mess. It is more of a conceptual thing, but I just cannot figure out what to do. I read and re-read the question so many times, but I am not able to figure it out.

Please answer as fast as possible as it a test between my friend who asked this question on cramster(a paid service) and me. I want the world to be free.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, well, you probably aren't going to get much help in the future when you tell people you're exploiting their time so you can prove a point to a friend. Anyway, since I know that you truly came to learn physics, and I believe more people should have fun with physics I will help you...

The problem tells you that the last 34m takes 1.2s. We should be able to assume that the object is dropped (has no initial downward velocity) and we need to find the point where it was dropped.

So, I would first see how fast the object was moving at the point 34m above ground with the kinematic equation
y2-y1=v0*t+.5gt^2

That gives you the velocity the object started at 34m above ground. Then you can use the equation
v^2=v0^2+2a(y4-y3)
to go further back and see how far the object must have traveled to get that velocity.

I'll let you figure out the final answer on your own as I think I've given you more than enough of a push in the right direction. Also, this is just one of many ways to solve this problem, so you may see some alternatives.

1. What is the significance of knowing the height that an object was thrown from?

Knowing the initial height of an object can help us calculate its trajectory, velocity, and the forces acting upon it during its flight.

2. How can we determine the height an object was thrown from?

The height can be determined using mathematical equations and measurements such as the angle of projection, time of flight, and initial velocity.

3. What instruments or tools are needed to measure the height of a thrown object?

Instruments such as a protractor, stopwatch, measuring tape, and a rangefinder can be used to measure the height of a thrown object.

4. Does the height that an object is thrown from affect its horizontal distance?

Yes, the initial height of a thrown object can affect its horizontal distance due to the influence of gravity and air resistance.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the height an object was thrown from?

Yes, factors such as human error in measurements, air resistance, and wind can affect the accuracy of determining the height an object was thrown from.