What holds the electron intact?

• Thread starter Amio C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the book "Electricity and Magnetism" 3rd edition (Purcell, Morin) discusses the mysterious nature of the electron and how it is held together. The author states that something more than electrical forces must be involved, as the electrostatic forces between different parts of the electron would be repulsive. The book unfortunately does not provide a further explanation on what exactly holds the electron together and why it does not burst due to its own repulsion. The author's statement may be due to a classical viewpoint and the limitations of classical theory in explaining the structure of elementary particles.
Amio C
I was reading the book "Electricity and Magnetism" 3rd edition (Purcell, Morin) and under section 1.3 the book says (I quote):

"What holds the electron together is as mysterious as what fixes the precise value of its charge. Something more than electrical forces must be involved, for the electrostatic forces between different parts of the electron would be repulsive."

Unfortunately the book says no more about what really holds the electron together. Really why doesn't an electron just burst due to the repulsion among its own parts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean," What holds the electron intact? "

Amio C said:
Unfortunately the book says no more about what really holds the electron together. Really why doesn't an electron just bursts due to the repulsion among its own parts?

what parts ?
an electron is an elementary particle ... it has no parts :smile:

you should have a read of this ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroncheers
Dave

davenn said:
what do you mean," What holds the electron intact? "
what parts ?
an electron is a fundamental particle ... it has no parts :smile:

That's what I am actually confused about. I don't understand what does Purcell mean by these lines:
"What holds the electron together is as mysterious as what fixes the precise value of its charge. Something more than electrical forces must be involved, for the electrostatic forces between different parts of the electron would be repulsive."
(Electricity and Magnetism. Purcell, Morin. Chapter 1)

Thanks.

Amio C said:
That's what I am actually confused about. I don't understand what Purcell means by these lines:

Thanks.

in light of what is known about electrons these day's ... the statement that book doesn't really make sense
how old is the book ? ie... when published ?OK appears to be recent updated edition ... 2013 ... can't understand why he would state something like that ?? maybe he/they just didn't want to delve deeper as it wasn't needed for the book topic ??

but its is quite misleadingD

Amio C said:
(Electricity and Magnetism. Purcell, Morin. Chapter 1)
Isn't that where String Theory is supposed to come to the rescue? The above is trying to explain something, only in terms of itself or other less fundamental things.

I think that quote is a result of the author being a little too whimsical in tone. What I take the author to mean is that if one follows the pattern as we see it at almost every level (that like charges repel each other and that all objects are made up of parts) then there exists a curiosity when considering the electron. Either it is not made up of parts, or it is made up of parts but there exists a mysterious counteracting force to the electric force within the electron, or some other deviation from our expectation occurs.

Likes just dani ok
I find the Feynman Lectures, Vol 2 Chapter 28 a fascinating discussion of this whole question, by someone who obviously had thought a great deal about these questions. It is a bit outdated, but I think still very relevant. I urge the OP to look this up and read it.

@phyzguy : Thanks for your suggestion. I just read that. I never thought there could be a whole section there discussing this topic! By the way, I find Feynman's lectures in general a bit complicated as a first time learner. At this point of my study, I think I would just leave the question (for now) and come back later when I have gained a bit more knowledge.
@DocZaius : Most probably you have correctly guessed the author's thoughts. Because after reading your reply I noticed that before talking about the electron's self repulsion, the book mentioned that "... classical theory cannot be expected to explain the structure of elementary particles."
Perhaps the author was just giving an example of what problem a classical viewpoint can lead to.

1. What is the charge of an electron?

The charge of an electron is -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

2. How is an electron held in an atom?

An electron is held in an atom by the attraction between the positive nucleus and the negative charge of the electron. This electrostatic force keeps the electron in orbit around the nucleus.

3. What is the role of the electron in chemical reactions?

The electron is responsible for the formation of chemical bonds between atoms, which allows for the creation of new molecules and compounds. Without electrons, chemical reactions would not occur.

4. What is the relationship between electrons and energy levels?

Electrons are arranged in specific energy levels around the nucleus of an atom. Each energy level can hold a certain number of electrons, and as an atom gains or loses energy, electrons can move between these levels.

5. Can electrons be destroyed?

No, electrons cannot be destroyed. They are fundamental particles and can only be converted into other forms of energy through processes such as nuclear reactions or interactions with other particles.