1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a covector, covariant tensor, etc?

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    Sorry, but some of you may think this is a stupid question. (I'm only 16 years old.)

I have just now gotten into the field of tensors and topology, after studying vector calculus and differential equations and I have two questions:

a) What exactly is a covector?

b) What is the difference between a contravariant and covariant tensor, and any mixture of the two, in a geometrical sense? (I already know the transformation equations but I find it hard to deduce a relative view of these.)

Any help will be especially appreciated as I cannot find any source that will explain this to me. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think words will help you much. But a vector, is, uh, a vector. It points in a direction. A covector is a thing like a gradient. They transform oppositely under coordinate transformations, they are duals. If you know the tranformation rules then you know the difference. See, I told you words wouldn't help much. The interesting thing is that the product of a vector and a covector is the rate of change along a direction which is an INVARIANT. Because the opposite transformation rules cancel out. Welcome to the Forums!

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is an analogy:
    vectors : curves :: covectors : functions

5. Apr 29, 2008 #4

TMM

Hey, sounds like I'm in the same exact position you are. (16 and just covering tensor notation.) I think of covariance and contravariance in terms of how scale factors work out and all that. When I first read about it I didn't gain a good intuition of them at all until I started doing lots of problems and began to notice the properties the literature talks about emerging in the math I was doing.

6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    Thanks. I have heard of tensors being something like transformations but I got confused by thinking how a transformation could be transformed by those equations. I will keep reading up on this. Thank you.

7. Apr 30, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point about tensors is that they transform "homogeneously" when you change coordinate systems. That is, the components of the tensor in coordinate system x' are just a sum of products of the components of the tensor in coordinate system x times numbers depending on the two coordinate systems. In particular, if the components of a tensor are 0 in one coordinate sytem, they are 0 in any coordinate system. If we write an equation as A= B, where A and B are tensors, that is the same as A- B= 0. If that is true in one coordinate system, it is true in any. Since physical laws are independent of human-created coordinate system, tensor equations are the natural way to write them.

8. May 6, 2008 #7
    Thanks! I just figured out that I had this book that explained dyads on the last chapter but I have only read half of it. I will finish it now that I know what it is talking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?