1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a general term and how is it different than a function?

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to use the above template considering I don't actually have a specific question from my homework, but I do have a question that I need answered to complete my homework.

Anyway, my book asks me to write a function that would correspond to a sequence, and then later asks me to write a general term for the nth term of that same sequence.

Would these be the same answer? I wrote them down as the same answer just with n instead of x for the general term question. They also asked me for a recursive formula for the sequence.

Can a general term be a recursive formula or a non recursive formula?

Thanks in advance. I just really don't understand what a general term is. Is it possible that they want the same answer for the general term and recursive formula, or function?

My problem is really that after writing a function, and a recursive formula for a sequence, I can't think of any other way to write a formula differently that could be considered a general term. I don't know what a general term is in the first place though.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So your question is about the "general term of a sequence". If a sequence is, for example, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, ... so each term is of the 1/n for some n. The "general term" is "1/n".

No, a "term" is not a "formula" but a formula might involve one or more terms. For example, a recursion formula typically says that a given term is some function of the previous terms. For example (although its a bit of a stretch), we can write [itex]a_{n+1}= 1/(n+1)[/itex] as [itex](1/n)- 1/(n(n+1))[/itex] so we can write [itex]a_{n+1}= a_n- 1/(n(n+1))[/itex], a recurrance formula.

Perhaps it would help if you gave a specific example. What "function" are you talking about?

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    Okay, so this specific question has
    x = 1, 2, 3, 4
    f(x) = 0, 3, 8, 15

for this sequence's function I wrote x^(2) - 1.

Is the general term the same answer but with an n instead of x?

thanks

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    Yup, you don't really need to change the ##x## to an ##n##, actually. It is just a convention. It is like:

$$a_n=n^2-1$$

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    Thanks a lot. It's very helpful to get an answer to this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook