First-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient

In summary, the explicit formula for the recursive sequence ##v_n=\frac{2}{1+q^n}v_{n-1}## where ##0<q<1## is a constant can be found using the method of solving first-order non-homogeneous recurrence relations with variable coefficients. The formula is given by ##v_n = 2^n \left( \prod_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{1+q^k} \right) \: v_0##.
Robin04

Homework Statement

I need to find the explicit formula for the following recursive sequence:
##v_n=\frac{2}{1+q^n}v_{n-1}## where ##0<q<1## is a constant

Homework Equations

I found the following method to solve it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recur...currence_relations_with_variable_coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Referring to Wikipedia, first I need to find
17c893a3d10387a0e30d23ec17df41bed06f1e09
, where
8c6f3cb8cc40110dc2469832ef2610375a2f20c2

My sequence is homogenous so ##g_n = 0##

I'm already in a problem at the beginning. In order to find ##A_n## I need to calculate##\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{2}{1+q^k} = 2^{n-1}\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{1+q^k}##
I don't really have any idea how to do this. Can you give me some hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the explicit formula for the following recursive sequence:
##v_n=\frac{2}{1+q^n}v_{n-1}## where ##0<q<1## is a constant

Homework Equations

I found the following method to solve it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recur...currence_relations_with_variable_coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Referring to Wikipedia, first I need to find
17c893a3d10387a0e30d23ec17df41bed06f1e09
, where
8c6f3cb8cc40110dc2469832ef2610375a2f20c2

My sequence is homogenous so ##g_n = 0##

I'm already in a problem at the beginning. In order to find ##A_n## I need to calculate##\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{2}{1+q^k} = 2^{n-1}\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{1+q^k}##
I don't really have any idea how to do this. Can you give me some hint?

You are done; that is about as simple a formula as can possibly be found.

Ray Vickson said:
You are done; that is about as simple a formula as can possibly be found.
Don't you also get the result that ##\displaystyle \ A_{n} = A_{n-1} \ \dots \ ## so that ##\displaystyle \ A_{n} = A_{0} \,?##

SammyS said:
Don't you also get the result that ##\displaystyle \ A_{n} = A_{n-1} \ \dots \ ## so that ##\displaystyle \ A_{n} = A_{0} \,?##
Using the recursion directly (and not bothering to look up formulas in Wikipedia) we have
$$ \begin{array}{rcl}
v_1 &=& \frac{2}{1+q} v_0 \\
v_2&=& \frac{2}{1+q^2} v_1 = \frac{2^2}{(1+q)(1+q^2)} v_0 \\
v_3 &=& \frac{2}{1+q^3} v_2 = \frac{2^3}{(1+q)(1+q^2)(1+q^3)} v_0 \\
\vdots & \vdots &\hspace{4em} \vdots
\end{array} $$ So
$$v_n = 2^n \left( \prod_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{1+q^k} \right) \: v_0,$$ and it does not get simpler than that.

Last edited:
Likes Raihan amin and SammyS

1. What is a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient?

A first-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of numbers, where each term is determined by the previous term multiplied by a variable coefficient. The variable coefficient can change with each term, making it a variable in the equation.

2. How is a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient solved?

The solution to a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient is found by finding the general form of the equation and then using initial conditions to determine the specific values of the variable coefficients. This can be done through substitution and solving for the coefficients using algebraic techniques.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous recurrence relation?

A homogeneous recurrence relation has a constant coefficient, meaning the variable in the equation does not change with each term. A non-homogeneous recurrence relation has a variable coefficient, where the variable changes with each term. This makes solving a non-homogeneous recurrence relation more complex.

4. Can a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation have more than one solution?

Yes, a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution to the equation includes a constant term, which can take on different values depending on the initial conditions. Therefore, there can be an infinite number of solutions to a first-order homogeneous recurrence relation with variable coefficient.

5. What are the real-world applications of first-order homogeneous recurrence relations with variable coefficient?

First-order homogeneous recurrence relations with variable coefficient have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model systems that involve growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and investment growth. They are also used in algorithms for solving mathematical problems and in computer science for analyzing and optimizing algorithms.