What Is a Special Unitary Group?

• B
  • Thread starter ChrisisC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation is about the Special Unitary Group (SU), which is a complex group of square matrices with certain properties. The first link provided is to the Wikipedia page for SU, and the second link is to a forum where the OP asks for a simple explanation of what SU is. The answer provided summarizes the definition of SU and mentions that it can also be defined by its properties as a group of linear transformations. The OP may have difficulty understanding the Wikipedia article, which is above a B level.
ChrisisC
I constantly read physics topics that are generally more QM, and i always find descriptions of SU groups. I have no idea what they mean? this is not a discussion topic and i don't mind if it's taken down but i really would like a simple, yet informative answer! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have easily found an answer on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_unitary_group
which raises the question, what is it that you didn't find there and hope to find here?
The shortest answer might be: It is the group of complex ##(n \times n)## matrices, which are unitary of determinant ##1##:
##SU(n,\mathbb{C}) = \{ A \in \mathbb{M}(n,\mathbb{C})\,\vert \, A\cdot A^\dagger = 1 \,\wedge \, \det A = 1\}##.
##A^\dagger## here is the matrix mirrored at the main diagonal and taken the complex conjugate entries: ##A^\dagger = \bar{A}^t##.

This definition leaves out a couple of important properties and isn't the only one possible. As a group of linear transformation one can also define it by the properties of these transformations, namely the invariance of the complex inner product: ##\langle Ux,Uy \rangle = \langle x,y \rangle## etc.

Since the thread is marked "B", I suspect the OP can't understand the wikipedia article, which is above a B level.

FAQ: What Is a Special Unitary Group?

What is a Special Unitary Group?

A Special Unitary Group, denoted as SU(n), is a mathematical group that consists of all n-by-n unitary matrices with determinant equal to 1. It is a subgroup of the general linear group GL(n,C), which contains all n-by-n invertible matrices.

How is a Special Unitary Group different from a Unitary Group?

The main difference between a Special Unitary Group and a Unitary Group is that the former has a determinant of 1, while the latter does not have any restriction on the determinant. This means that the matrices in a Special Unitary Group must have a special property, while those in a Unitary Group do not necessarily have this property.

What is the significance of the determinant being equal to 1 in a Special Unitary Group?

The determinant being equal to 1 in a Special Unitary Group is significant because it ensures that the group forms a subgroup of the general linear group, which is a fundamental concept in algebra. It also has important applications in quantum mechanics and group theory.

How is a Special Unitary Group used in physics?

Special Unitary Groups are used in physics to describe symmetries in physical systems. In quantum mechanics, the special unitary group SU(2) is used to represent the symmetries of spin-1/2 particles. In particle physics, SU(3) is used to describe the symmetries of the strong nuclear force. It also has applications in quantum field theory and other areas of physics.

What are some real-world applications of Special Unitary Groups?

Special Unitary Groups have various real-world applications, including in signal processing, image processing, and machine learning. They are also used in cryptography to secure data transmission. In addition, the concept of special unitary matrices plays a crucial role in the theory of quantum computation, which has potential applications in fields such as drug discovery and optimization problems.