Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What Is a Special Unitary Group?

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    I constantly read physics topics that are generally more QM, and i always find descriptions of SU groups. I have no idea what they mean? this is not a discussion topic and i don't mind if it's taken down but i really would like a simple, yet informative answer! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 2, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You could have easily found an answer on Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_unitary_group
    which raises the question, what is it that you didn't find there and hope to find here?
    The shortest answer might be: It is the group of complex ##(n \times n)## matrices, which are unitary of determinant ##1##:
    ##SU(n,\mathbb{C}) = \{ A \in \mathbb{M}(n,\mathbb{C})\,\vert \, A\cdot A^\dagger = 1 \,\wedge \, \det A = 1\}##.
    ##A^\dagger## here is the matrix mirrored at the main diagonal and taken the complex conjugate entries: ##A^\dagger = \bar{A}^t##.

This definition leaves out a couple of important properties and isn't the only one possible. As a group of linear transformation one can also define it by the properties of these transformations, namely the invariance of the complex inner product: ##\langle Ux,Uy \rangle = \langle x,y \rangle## etc.

5. May 3, 2017 #4
    Since the thread is marked "B", I suspect the OP can't understand the wikipedia article, which is above a B level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted