Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is a two-variable graph?

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    hi, I just need to what is a two-variable graph. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That is not a standard terminology. It could mean either the graph of a function of one variable: y= f(x) in a cartesian coordinate system with one x-axis and one y-axis or (perhaps more likely what you mean) a function of two variables: z= f(x,y). To graph that you need three axes, x, y, z with the z-value (height of a surface above the xy-plane) given by f(x,y).

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3
    Is this a two-variable graph?
    graph.jpg
    Also, could you bumb your explaination down for me since I'm a dumbask?

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4
    Are you talking about statistics or co-ordinate geometry. Your terminlogy does not make this thing atleast specific?

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Raza:
    Those on your image are called level set curves; each is characterized by a constant value of R^2

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6
    I have a project which states me to make a two-variable graph. This is for Data Management which is study for statistics. Are "Grade-10" and "Grade-12" variables?

8. Feb 19, 2006 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Feb 19, 2006 #8
    So a 3D graph is a two-variable graph?

10. Feb 19, 2006 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe that would be one way to put it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook