How to Find the Minimum Angle Value Involving Two Variables and Constraints?

In summary: Remembering that you don't need to find the value of ##\theta##. I just need to find a relationship between ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##The condition that a two-variable function has a local minimum or maximum is when the two variables are in a relationship of inverse equality. In other words, the two variables must be able to cancel each other out. To handle a constraint, you can use the method of Lagrange multipliers.
A13235378
Homework Statement
Find the minimum angle value ##\theta## such that:

##\theta##= 2 ##\theta_1## - 4 ##\theta_2## + 180

##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## < 90 , ##\theta_1## > ##\theta_2##

##\sin\theta_1=n \sin\theta_2##
Relevant Equations
n/a
I tried to do it by derivative but there are two variables, so I don't know how to proceed. Does anyone know how I can solve it?

Remembering that you don't need to find the value of ##\theta##. I just need to find a relationship between ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused. The first line says to find a value of ##\theta##. Then at the end you say you don't need to figure out what ##\theta## is. What exactly do you need to solve for?

Likes jim mcnamara
Office_Shredder said:
I'm confused. The first line says to find a value of ##\theta##. Then at the end you say you don't need to figure out what ##\theta## is. What exactly do you need to solve for?

I found an answer here in my book that says so that ##\theta## it is minimal

##sin\theta_1 = \sqrt{\frac{4-n^2}{3}}##

So how do i get to this

A13235378 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the minimum angle value ##\theta## such that:

Relevant Equations:: n/a

I tried to do it by derivative but there are two variables, so I don't know how to proceed. Does anyone know how I can solve it?

Remembering that you don't need to find the value of ##\theta##. I just need to find a relationship between ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##
I suspect that the actual wording of the problem is something like "Find the minimum value of ##2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2 + 180##" subject to the constraints given.
I haven't worked the problem, but I would start with this:
##\sin(2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2 + 180) = -\sin(2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2) = \dots##
From there I would use the identity for the sine of a difference of angles; i.e., ##\sin(A - B) = \sin(A)\cos(B) - \sin(B)\cos(A)##.
One of the constraints is ##\sin(\theta_1) = n\sin(\theta_2)##, so that could be used to simplify things in the expression we started with.
I haven't worked this through, but what I've described is how I would approach the problem.

Likes jim mcnamara
Mark44 said:
I suspect that the actual wording of the problem is something like "Find the minimum value of ##2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2 + 180##" subject to the constraints given.
I haven't worked the problem, but I would start with this:
##\sin(2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2 + 180) = -\sin(2\theta_2 - 4\theta_2) = \dots##
I tried it, but found the method of Lagrange multipliers simpler.

A13235378 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the minimum angle value ##\theta## such that:

Relevant Equations:: n/a

You have rwo minimize a two-variable function θ(θ1,θ2). What is the condition that a two-variable function has a local minimum or maximum? How to handle a comstraint? Have you learned the method of Lagrange mulriplier?

Related to How to Find the Minimum Angle Value Involving Two Variables and Constraints?

What is the minimum value of an angle?

The minimum value of an angle is 0 degrees.

How is the minimum value of an angle determined?

The minimum value of an angle is determined by the smallest measurement of a full rotation, which is 360 degrees.

Can an angle have a negative minimum value?

No, angles are always measured in a counterclockwise direction and therefore cannot have a negative minimum value.

Is the minimum value of an angle the same for all types of angles?

Yes, the minimum value of an angle is the same for all types of angles, including acute, right, obtuse, and reflex angles.

Why is the minimum value of an angle important in geometry?

The minimum value of an angle is important because it serves as a reference point for measuring and comparing other angles. It also helps to define the basic properties and concepts of angles in geometry.