What Is a Wood's Replica Grating and How Was It Used in Optics?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter eitsrik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
eitsrik
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am not a physics student, but my father was.

I found a "Wood's Replica Grating" among his belongings after he died and have been scouring the internet trying to understand what this replica grating was used for. I think I am on the right track with optics, but I'd like to know more.

Can anyone help me so I can understand the basics of the replica grating?

Does anyone know when the "Wood's Replica Grating" was first created?

Thank you very much for your help.


Kirstie
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a brief bio of http://www.europa.com/~telscope/wood.txt" . I find other references to "Wood Gratings". This is a diffraction grating which is used to analize the spectra of light sources. I appears that some old phyiscs labs had students constructing Woods gratings. This is probably what you have.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I found online references to Wood's grating, but I wasn't able to understand its specific use, so I appreciate your reply.

And thanks for the link, I found the biography of Wood quite informative...and now realize the connection between his copy of Physical Optics textbook by Wood (my dad kept most of his college textbooks)...and the grating. It didn't make sense to me that he would have used this in his career as a missile systems analyst, but I knew he was interested in photography, telescopes and lenses of various sorts... I have been curious to know where the grating came from.

So, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I appreciate the information.

Kirstie
 
Attachments
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 538