Blazed Gratings and Littrow Mounting

• A
  • Thread starter fsonnichsen
  • Start date
In summary, the use of blazed gratings in spectrometer systems enhances the diffraction efficiency by redirecting the spectral reflection into higher order spectra. This is achieved through the use of a reflective type grating, where the blaze angle is designed to maximize the diffraction pattern from a single reflector. The Richardson Grating Labs handbook and Loewen's paper may provide further information on designing gratings for maximum efficiency.
fsonnichsen
TL;DR Summary
How do blazed gratings improve efficiency in spectrometer
I cannot for the life of me find any concise information on how blazed gratings improve the spectral throughput of a spectrometer system. The blazed grating structure and how it redirects spectral reflection is itself understandable- but any information I have indicates that it somehow "concentrates" the diffracted light energy into a higher order spectrum. What I see is that the specular output is indeed reflected away from the m=0 order, but beyond this I do not see how the specular content leads to an enhanced diffraction/ spectrum. In fact it would seem as those this light would obscure the higher order into which it is reflected.
I have consulted the ubiquitous Born & Wolfe on this (no information at all!), Hecht (meager information with no mathematical analysis) and Jenkins & white, not to mention a half dozen books on spectrometers. All simply state that the blaze, when mounted at the Littrow angle for the wavelength, mysteriously enhances the signal. I need the math here, or at least a ray-trace sketch to figure out how this happens.

I am trying to track down the 1916 paper by Wood and Trowbridge but meantime does anyone know a textbook (or even an online white paper) working through this problem?

Thanks
Fritz

Physics news on Phys.org
The diffraction intensity is given by the formula for the interference of ## N ## sources, ## I=I_o \frac{\sin^2(N \phi / 2)}{\sin^2(\phi / 2)} ##, (##\phi=\frac{2 \pi d ( \sin{\theta_i}+\sin{\theta_r})}{\lambda} ##), multiplied by the diffraction pattern of a single slit, (or Huygens reflector). It is this second term where the blazed grating offers higher efficiency. The diffraction pattern from a single reflector peaks where angle of incidence=angle of reflection. Here it is a reflective type grating (rather than transmissive). The blaze makes it so that this peak occurs at some other angle than the m=0 maximum.

Last edited:
fsonnichsen said:
Summary:: How do blazed gratings improve efficiency in spectrometer

I cannot for the life of me find any concise information on how blazed gratings improve the spectral throughput of a spectrometer system.

Richardson Grating Labs has a 'handbook' that may be of help:
https://www.gratinglab.com/Information/Handbook/Handbook.aspx

In particular, there is a chapter on designing gratings for maximum efficiency. That handbook references a paper by Loewen:

https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/abstract.cfm?uri=ao-16-10-2711

that may have some useful details.

1. What is a blazed grating?

A blazed grating is a type of diffraction grating that has a sawtooth-shaped surface profile, which allows for higher diffraction efficiency compared to regular gratings.

2. How does a blazed grating work?

A blazed grating works by diffracting light into different orders, or wavelengths, based on the spacing of its grooves and the angle of incidence. The sawtooth profile of the grating helps to focus the diffracted light into a specific direction.

3. What is Littrow mounting?

Littrow mounting is a method of aligning a blazed grating so that the diffracted light is reflected back into the same direction as the incident light. This results in a high diffraction efficiency for a specific wavelength or order of light.

4. What are the advantages of using a blazed grating and Littrow mounting?

Blazed gratings and Littrow mounting offer several advantages, including high diffraction efficiency, narrow spectral bandwidth, and the ability to tune the diffracted wavelength by adjusting the angle of incidence. They are also relatively simple and cost-effective to produce.

5. What are some common applications of blazed gratings and Littrow mounting?

Blazed gratings and Littrow mounting are commonly used in spectroscopy, where they can be used to separate and analyze the different wavelengths of light in a sample. They are also used in laser systems and optical communications for their precise wavelength selection capabilities.