1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an accumulation point?

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    I don't know what an accumulation point is and I have read the definition many many times.

Could someone please give me a few examples with intervals of what would be an accumulation point?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Fire flame. Welcome to PF !

What is the definition that you're trying to use, but don't understand?

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    Definition:

Let S be a subset of R. A point x in R is an accumulation point of S if every deleted neighborhood of x contains a point of S.

So this is what I get out of it.

Lets say S is a subset of R and S is the interval [0,1)

So basically, you take a point, any point x in R and then deleted that point and look at the neighborhood around that point, if you get something in S in YES that point is an accumulation point.

So from our interval [0,1)

0 is an accumulation point since in the neighborhood to the right side of zero there is something in S
    1/2 or 0.5 is an accumulation point because on both sides of 0.5 there is a neighborhood that contains S
    1 is an accumulation point since to the left of 1 there is a neighborhood that contains S

So is this the right way to thinking about accumulation points?

Thanks.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a good start.

For your example in which set S is the interval [0,1), every point in S is an accumulation point.

Any point, a, to the left of 0 is not an accumulation point, because we can find a deleted neighborhood of a which doesn't intersect set S. such a deleted neighborhood is, (2a, a)∪(a, a/2) .

1 is an accumulation point because every neighborhood immediately to the left of 1 intersects set S.

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also interesting is that if x is an accumulation point of S, there's a sequence in S that converges to x. There's no "gap" between the accumulation point and the set; it's as close to the set as any point can get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted