Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical What is an area of health research that you think should no longer be pursued?

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    Hey all,

I'm in the process of applying to Uni. and the program I've chosen requires an additional application. That said, the one question on it is:

What is an area of health research that you think should no longer be pursued? Why?

I've been thinking about it and I could take the easier route and go with something ethical like stem cell research, genetic engineering, or cloning. However, I'm under the impression a lot of applicants will be submitting something similar. I've also considered doing something a little different and going with cancer research. My point being that millions, if not billions of dollars have been thrown at it and whats come out of it? Nothing, least nothing I know of.

Well, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions that could start me out, it would be great. Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2
    Anyone?

4. Mar 11, 2008 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

Eliminate cancer research? We've saved and extended many lives with cancer research donations. Prostate, breast and colon cancers are no longer the death sentence they once were. Even cervical cancers are becoming more preventable, treatable and even curable.

Now if you want to stop wasting money, how about we stop paying committees to come up with new terms for things like 'stroke' (yeah, they decided people were being freaked out by the term 'stroke' - so they renamed strokes 'brain attacks' :rolleyes: And guess what! - the name never really took! Everyone still calls them 'strokes' and we've p***ed off a WHOLE LOT of money to pay these people to sit around and come up with these dumb ideas.)

In my opinion, research dollars are not wasted dollars. 'Focus group' dollars ARE wasted.

5. Mar 11, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No no no...they're "cerebrovascular accidents" :rolleyes: Accident? I mean, sure they're not exactly intentional, but an accident?

Anyway, back to the OP, if you want to stay away from the cliche ethical arguments (and I agree that's a good strategy...not only is it the easy out, you could potentially rub an interviewer the wrong way with your answer and find yourself grilled during your interviews without even having ever had that strong of an opinion on the issue), perhaps you should look into addressing a more niche area of research that has become outdated. Saying an entire branch of research has produced nothing when it has resulted in a great deal of improvement in treating and preventing disease is only going to make you look ignorant. But, perhaps you could find something that a few people are clinging onto when there are more current approaches and potential therapies that are more promising.

As you can tell, since this is your essay, I'm not handing you a topic. If you want to run ideas past us to see if you're sufficiently informed before taking a position on it for your essay, we can certainly help with that.

6. Mar 11, 2008 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

CVA was before 'brain attack'. 'Stroke' freaked people out, 'cerebrovascular' was too big of a word that people didn't understand, so 'they' (the powers that be?) decided on 'brain attack'. Here's the clincher. They have never differentiated between the two TYPES of stroke/cva/brain attack. There is hemorrhagic and embolic. And they are treated exactly OPPOSITE!! So which is which?

7. Mar 11, 2008 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

8. Mar 11, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I don't personally think that any area which is still relavent to health should be abandoned. That pretty much means, keep everything running that has an impact upon any living thing on the planet. Look what happened when society ignored AIDS because they figured that it was a 'monkey disease'. Other things such as avian flu eventually can mutate to a human form. Even if not, the environmental impact of animal diseases can distrupt human lives. BSE causes all sorts of hardship to we Albertans as well as Brits.
    Polio, phenylketanuria, and a lot of other things are pretty much figured out and eradicated. Unfortunately, other things that we think are gone are still out there somewhere, such as smallpox. Everyone thought that that one had been eliminated from the face of the planet, until the collapse of the Soviet Union showed that there were samples kept in storage.
    As one slowly dying from a disease of my own instigation, I would say that the most focus should be upon things to keep the kids alive for as long as possible. If you have to drop anything, drop the stuff that keeps old people alive despite their own foolishness. (Good luck trying to sort that out, though.)

edit: Tsu... Sweetie! Hi. I was composing when you sneaked in. Good to see ya.

9. Mar 11, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All research trying to prove that behaviour of 13year old kids is all due to ADHD / Autism etc and can be cured by giving them happy pills. When in fact they are simply annoying little monsters that should be put in camps deep in the forest until the turn into humans.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Danger!! Back at ya, Babe! I've been TRYING to stay offline and out of trouble. Sometimes it works! :smile:

11. Mar 11, 2008 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

WHAT?!?!? Waddya mean??? There's nothing more fun than a bunch of pre-teens on Ritalin!!!! :rofl:

12. Mar 11, 2008 #11
    I was thinking something like acupuncture and these homeopathic/natural medications. How much research actually goes into these things? I think they're useless but if government funding thinks so as well, I'll look very ill informed.

13. Mar 11, 2008 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Actually, it's not so much homeopathic vs. traditional medicine anymore. There are some very intense movements within the US and Europe to combine the two medical practices. Both in combination are proving to be very effective in many areas of medicine.

Now, 'natural' preparations might be something else. Many of the 'naturals' cause problems in combination with (or even alone, depending upon it's use) traditional medications. They are often in conflict with each other. Now, if Moonbear agrees, this one might be a go. Cuz, in my book - she da MAN. :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  14. Mar 11, 2008 #13
    So you're not talking so much about the actual practice but, more so those natural medications that people are using? Like, herbal remedies? I mean, my cat was prescribed some "chinese green tea leave and honey" tablets post-surgery? Is this kinda the lines you were thinking of?

FYI, I've also posted a topic discussing ADHD research...thoughts?

15. Mar 11, 2008 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

Yes. Many of our pharmaceuticals are actually made from natural things. Digitalis is made from the foxglove plant. But there are other natural products that have no scientific evidence proving that they actually work (ecchinacea is one of these, I think) and some are completely contraindicated - depending upon what other meds you take. There is a lot of info out there regarding combining traditional meds and natural meds - most of which are warnings.

ADHD research? Might be VERY interesting. There is probably even more info out there about this topic. But are you saying that research in this area should no longer be pursued? If that's the case, I'd have to disagree. I don't think there is any area of health care that should not be researched.

16. Mar 11, 2008 #15
    No, the ADHD topic isn't related to this. I think it would be too difficult of a subject to defend since it's still very new, and I personally don't think research should be stopped. It's just something I'm wanting some opinions on.

17. Mar 11, 2008 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

Ah. OK. Here's my opinion of ADHD> It sucks. :biggrin:
    (sorry. not much help am I? :biggrin: But I think mgb[GT]-phys might have the right idea... :rofl:)

mgb: sorry i'm messin' w/ yer username. i saw someone else do it in another thread and i couldn't resist... :biggrin: actually i'm a mg roadster chick myself... :smile:

18. Mar 11, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Turn it around on them. Attention deficit disorder and asthma may well be caused by the use of fragrance chemicals in air fresheners, scented detergents and fabric softeners etc, that kids are forced to breathe every day. Catch a clue, people! These chemicals are neurological stimulants or depressants and are the same type of compounds that kids "huff" to get high.

If you want links, Google on EPA, fragrance, etc and you'll find all kinds of links. Here is one:

http://allnaturalbeauty.us/chemicalsensitivities_jrussell.htm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  19. Mar 11, 2008 #18

Tsu

Gold Member

Good point, turbo! That's a definite possibility!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  20. Mar 11, 2008 #19
    I'm beginning to imagine I should take the middle ground and say that no area of health research should be stopped but, rather, certain areas should be focused on more and others less. You think that would come across well in the response and to the readers? I mean, a valid answer to the question is simply; none...thoughts?

21. Mar 11, 2008 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

I think I'm kind of liking the way you're thinking. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?