Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an evanescent wave? What are its applications?

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    I am reading some papers that mention evanescent waves. From what I can find, evanescent waves occur because of the Maxwell Boundary Conditions but I don't really see how. Could some please comment on this or just on the general topic. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    That's a nice question. Evanescent fields are near field effects which are not easy to deal with. We had struggled to derive evanescent fields from Maxwell Equations to solve a problem in an hypothetical fiber network a while ago and I assure you it's not an easy task to mathematically immerse into evanescent phenomena. For general information and some of the applications ; http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/dknipp/c320352/Projects/Presentations%202005/CL%20Evanescent%20Fields.pdf [Broken]

I would like to hear if someone comes up with the proof that derives evanescent fields from Maxwell equations step-by-step.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook