Some questions about surface plasmon polaritons

In summary, the light produces an evanescent wave in the dielectric medium which excites surface plasmons. At the angle when this happens, the reflected light loses energy due to exciting the plasmons and there is a dip in the reflectance at this particular angle, which is sensitive to the dielectric medium's index of refraction.
TheCatsMeow
Hi there,

To be clear, this is not a homework question, I am a graduate student reading about the use of plasmonics for biosensing. I felt I should post here instead of in the "general physics" forum since I do have questions, but they are more qualitative, nonetheless I will try to follow the template.

Homework Statement

I'm mostly reading about the Kretschmann configuration shown here:
A-schematic-representation-of-basic-Kretschmann-configuration-of-prism-coupling-to-show.jpg

The gist is that under total internal reflection conditions, the light produces an evanescent wave in the dielectric medium which excites surface plasmons. At the angle when this happens, the reflected light loses energy due to exciting the plasmons and there is a dip in the reflectance at this particular angle, which is sensitive to the dielectric medium's index of refraction.
I'm okay with this, but I'm wondering - why do we only regard this excitation at the dielectric-metal interface, and not the prism-metal interface?

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thoughts are as follows -
It may be because the evanescent wave occurs in the dielectric under TIR, and there is no effect in the metal (i.e., the metal thickness must be much less than the penetration depth of the wave?) My understanding, though, is that the evanescent wave would be enhanced in the metal, and therefore exist even at the metal-prism interface (where there are also SPPs, I assume).

Likewise, it's possible that this effect does occur at the other interface and ignored because it is not dependent on the dielectric (which is to be sensed)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Attachments

• A-schematic-representation-of-basic-Kretschmann-configuration-of-prism-coupling-to-show.jpg
    A-schematic-representation-of-basic-Kretschmann-configuration-of-prism-coupling-to-show.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 840
Physics news on Phys.org
This diagram i not clear enough. Where is metal? Dark blue line? How thick is the metal? What is the light-blue medium between the prism and dark blue line? Glass slide? Does prism even come into close proximity with the metal? Or is there a glass slide between them?

1. What are surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs)?

Surface plasmon polaritons are electromagnetic waves that propagate along the interface between a metal and a dielectric material. They are formed by coupling between photons and collective oscillations of conduction electrons on the metal surface, resulting in a strong confinement of light to the surface and a highly enhanced electromagnetic field.

2. What is the significance of SPPs in scientific research?

SPPs have gained significant attention in scientific research due to their ability to confine light to subwavelength scales, making them useful for applications such as biosensing, nanophotonics, and plasmonic devices. They also offer a unique platform for studying light-matter interactions at the nanoscale.

3. How are SPPs excited?

SPPs can be excited by various methods, such as using a prism or grating to couple incident light onto a metal-dielectric interface, or by using a nanostructure such as a nanowire or nanoparticle to localize and enhance the electromagnetic field.

4. What are the challenges in studying SPPs?

One of the main challenges in studying SPPs is their short lifetime, which limits the distance they can propagate before decaying. This makes it difficult to manipulate and control SPPs over long distances. Additionally, the strong confinement of SPPs to the metal-dielectric interface can lead to high losses and heating effects, which can affect their applications in nanophotonics and plasmonic devices.

5. What are some potential applications of SPPs?

SPPs have a wide range of potential applications, including biosensing for detecting biomolecules and diseases, enhancing light-matter interactions for efficient solar cells and light-emitting devices, and for subwavelength imaging and data storage. They also have potential uses in plasmonic circuits for information processing and communication.