What is centripital acceleration physically?

In summary, centripetal acceleration is the physical phenomenon of an object traveling in a circular or spiral path due to the force pushing it towards the center of the circle. It is calculated by taking the square of the velocity divided by the radius of the curvature of the path. This is seen in various scenarios such as orbiting objects and turning cars, where the change in direction of velocity causes an acceleration towards the center of the circle. The concept of oversteer and infinite centripetal acceleration is a misconception, as a car can only experience a finite amount of centripetal acceleration regardless of oversteer.
R Power
Hi friends
I know it's a very elementary question but i wat to know what centripital acceleration physically is?
I mean, acceleration is something that results due to any force. In case of centripital acceleration, the force is centripital force (which e.g in case of car making turn is provided by tyres friction) and this force tends to bind the body to revolve around a center.
Now, acceleration is basically, rate of change in velocity along a certain path or distance.
And in case of circular motion the rate of change of angular velocity is angular acceleration,
then what's centriptal acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
R Power said:
Hi friends
I know it's a very elementary question but i wat to know what centripital acceleration physically is?
I mean, acceleration is something that results due to any force. In case of centripital acceleration, the force is centripital force (which e.g in case of car making turn is provided by tyres friction) and this force tends to bind the body to revolve around a center.
Now, acceleration is basically, rate of change in velocity along a certain path or distance.
And in case of circular motion the rate of change of angular velocity is angular acceleration,
then what's centriptal acceleration?

centripetal means "center seeking". It's not a fundamental force itself, it's more of a scenario that involves a fundamental force.

Orbit is a common example. An object must have the right velocity to orbit Earth. The planet's gravity is pulling it in. Since the velocity is just right, it continues in orbit, always being pulled toward the center of Earth, but never really getting closer.

centripeta.png

Notice that the velocity is directed slightly opposite of the force pulling it in. With the right velocity, it's just enough so that it's always correcting itself due to the force, perpetually orbiting.

A more personable example is when you're taking a turn in your car. Your velocity is still going straight, but you're turning the car, so the car's driver side door pushes on you as it turns and makes you turn with it. Here, the door is exerting a centripetal force on you.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand centripital force as you explained too but what I ask is that what is centripital "accleration" physically?

Velocity has both magnitude (speed) and direction. For circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is the rate of change of the velocity due to its changing direction.

that means in case of cars, in case of oversteer we get theorotically infinite lateral or centripital acceleration

R Power said:
that means in case of cars, in case of oversteer we get theorotically infinite lateral or centripital acceleration
What makes you think that?

geometry, not physics

Hi R Power! :smile:
R Power said:

It isn't.

Centripetal (same root as "petition", from the Latin for "seek" :wink:) acceleration is geometry, not physics.

Anything going along a curve has a centripetal acceleration equal to speed squared over radius of curvature. :smile:

R Power said:
Yeah, I understand centripital force as you explained too but what I ask is that what is centripital "accleration" physically?

The same vector conventions apply to the acceleration. As Doc Al said, a change in direction of velocity is an acceleration (so is a change in magnitude, of course, like when you speed up on a straight road).

Using the vector conventions, you can see how the velocity of the object changes at every point around it's orbit (because of the centripetal force acting on it).

Last edited:
What makes you think that?
in case of cars lateral acceleartion is dependent upon square of velocity as well as cornering stiffness constant (which is directly related to slip angles of rear and front wheels). In case of oversteer slip angles of rear wheels are greater so CSC becomes negative and at critical speed it becomes 1 and when we relate it to lateral acceleration
through a certain derived formula we get infinite lateral acceleration.

You may not understand the above text if you don't have considerable knowledge of vehicle dynamics.
I was just confused what infinite centripital acceleration means, and now I just undestand that infinite acc will create a slip.

Centripetal acceleration just means an acceleration that is perpendicular to an objects current direction. The resulting path will be circular or spiral like. One example of a spiral like path produced by centripetal acceleration is called involute of circle, which is the path of an object connected to a string that winds or unwinds around a post.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Involute.html

oversteer ... infinite centripetal acceleration
A car can only experience a finite amount of centripetal acceleration, regardless of oversteer. Oversteer has two basic meanings. One usage is when the rear tires have more slip angle than the front tires, a situation that only exists when a driver is countersteering in the direction of a drift or skid. The other usage describes the tendency for the rear end to drift or slide more than the front end while turning near the limits of traction.

Last edited:
R Power said:
If you draw a picture of a car traveling in a straight line from above, this is easier to understand. Draw a straight behind and in front of it depicting the path of the tyres on the ground.

Then under cornering when centripetal forces make it go in a circle, you'll notice that the path carved by the tyres is circular. Centripetal force in this case, is from the tyres pushing the car away from its straight-line path into a circle. The force you feel as a passenger is the seat and car-door pushing in from the outside and making you go in a circle. In the case of a rear-seat passenger who isn't paying attention, this force can come from the window against their face.

There's some equations for you in this Physics of Racing chapter.

Last edited:
mV^2/R = ma => a= V^2/R This is basically centripetal acceleration, in case if you are really asking this.

From what I understand centripetal acceleration is the type of acceleration that causes circular motion. For example of you swing a yo yo around your head the direction is constantly changing and therefore so is the velocity, if the velocity is changing then the yoyo has an acceleration. Now as for the direction of this acceleration? well if the yo yo is being swung in a circle it is pointing inward down the line of the yo yo toward your hand. So the acceleration vector points along the radial line voila.

To show this more rigorously . Choose a point P on a path of circular motion and draw its velocity tangent to the path of motion. notice the angle theta swept out by the velocity vector as it changes by magnitude delta v is the same angle as is swept out but magnitude of v during a change in time dt and so you can write (d v)/v =v(d t)/r and it follows that dv/dt=v^2/r this is the expression for centripetal acceleration. Like someone already stated, its a consequence of the geometry of the situation. Angular acceleration, however is a direct measure of how fast the rate of rotation wrt time.

I do not get it properly, can you explain a bit more in detail.
I am confused that what is the need for defining centripital acceleration. Rate of change of direction can be given by angular acceleration also because angular acceleration is rate of change of angular velocity as well as direction!

R Power said:
Rate of change of direction can be given by angular acceleration also because angular acceleration is rate of change of angular velocity as well as direction!
Centripetal acceleration is not the rate of change of direction--it's the rate of change of velocity due to changing direction. For an object in uniform circular motion, the angular acceleration is zero but the centripetal acceleration is certainly not zero.

Here's a derivation of the centripetal acceleration formula: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/cf.html#cf2"

And another version of the same thing: Derivation of the Formulas for Centripetal Acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:

What is centripital acceleration physically?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration different from other types of acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is unique because it is not caused by a force acting directly on the object, but rather by the object's own inertia. In contrast, other types of acceleration are caused by an external force acting on the object.

What are some examples of centripetal acceleration in real life?

There are many examples of centripetal acceleration in our daily lives, such as a car turning around a curved road, a roller coaster moving around a loop, or a satellite orbiting around the Earth.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal acceleration causes an object to continuously change its direction while moving in a circular path, but its speed remains constant. This results in a curved path rather than a straight line.

What are the units of measurement for centripetal acceleration?

The units of measurement for centripetal acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This is the same unit used for other types of acceleration, such as linear acceleration.