What is elastic stiffness? What about 2nd and 3rd order elastic stiffness

  • Thread starter Thread starter dkell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elastic Stiffness
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
dkell
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm researching CNTs and am currently describing Graphene as I lead from carbon atoms to nano-tubes. I've come across this:

"The force-displacement behavior is interpreted within a framework of nonlinear elastic stress-strain response, and yields second- and third-order elastic stiffnesses of 340 Newtons per meter (N m–1) and –690 Nm–1, respectively." http://www.sciencemag.org/content/321/5887/385.full

The text says that the the "Elastic Stiffness" = Young's Modulus, but what about second- and third-order elastic stiffnesses?

I know elasticity is a materials ability to return to its previous shape, and stiffness is resistance to deformation or strain.

Thank you for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dkell! welcome to pf! :smile:
dkell said:
… nonlinear elastic stress-strain response …

linear elastic stress-strain response means that stress = constant times strain …

ie, hooke's law (and young's modulus) appplies​

non-linear elastic stress-strain response means that stress is a more complicated function of strain …

eg k1x + k2x2 + k3x3 + …

here, the constant k2 would be the second-order stiffness, the constant k3 would be the third-order stiffness, etc :wink:​