1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is elastic stiffness? What about 2nd and 3rd order elastic stiffness

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    I'm researching CNTs and am currently describing Graphene as I lead from carbon atoms to nano-tubes. I've come accross this:

"The force-displacement behavior is interpreted within a framework of nonlinear elastic stress-strain response, and yields second- and third-order elastic stiffnesses of 340 newtons per meter (N m–1) and –690 Nm–1, respectively." http://www.sciencemag.org/content/321/5887/385.full

The text says that the the "Elastic Stiffness" = Young's Modulus, but what about second- and third-order elastic stiffnesses?

I know elasticity is a materials ability to return to its previous shape, and stiffness is resistance to deformation or strain.

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi dkell! welcome to pf! :smile:
    linear elastic stress-strain response means that stress = constant times strain …

ie, hooke's law (and young's modulus) appplies​

non-linear elastic stress-strain response means that stress is a more complicated function of strain …

eg k1x + k2x2 + k3x3 + …

here, the constant k2 would be the second-order stiffness, the constant k3 would be the third-order stiffness, etc :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook