What is electric field problem?

In summary, the electric field (V/m) between the two plates is given by E=1.13x1011 Q/A where Q is the charge in Coulombs on one plate and A is the area in m2. The field is strong (V=2.26x108V) and the voltage between the plates is 27.8 volts.
physics(L)10

Homework Statement

Two uniform plates have a uniform charge density of 10 Coulombs/m2. The plates have dimensions of 0.6x0.6 m2 and are separated by 2mm

a) The electric field (V/m) between the two plates is given by E=1.13x1011 Q/A where Q is the charge in Coulombs on one plate and A is the area in m2. Evaluate the field.

b) What is the voltage between the two plates?

c) What is the charge on one plate?

Homework Equations

E=F/q
V=W/q=EL,
where L=distance,E=electric field, F=force, q=charge, V=voltage, W=work (J)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is really confusing me. There's so much information, I just don't know which info I can ignore. I think I got all the equations needed for this question though. Help pleaseeee.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a). Evaluate the field means calculate its value. You are given the formula in the problem statement, but you need to plug in Q/A. What are the units of Q/A?

Part (b). Use V = EL. Plug in the value for E that you get from part (a).

Part (c). If you did part (a), you must have figured out what Q/A is. Use this to figure out Q.

a) Well it gives 10 Coulombs/m2 which equals Q/A, so how do I relate this to E=1.13x1011 Q/A?

b) V=(answer in A)(.00002m)

c) I still don't quite understand

physics(L)10 said:
a) Well it gives 10 Coulombs/m2 which equals Q/A, so how do I relate this to E=1.13x1011 Q/A?
Maybe if I rewrite this in symbols you will see:

Q/A = 10 columbs/m2

E = (1.13 x 1011)(Q/A)

What is E?

Ooooooh I see, thanks, you made that really clear. So,

E = (1.13 x 1011)(10) = 1.13x1012 Coulombs/m2

b) V = EL = (1.13x1012)(.0002m) = 2.26x108Volts

c) I'm going to attempt this one and say that since you said E = (1.13 x 1011)(Q/A), then:

1.13x1012=(1.13x1011)(Q/.36)

27.8 coulombs = Q

...This seems wrong

physics(L)10 said:
E = (1.13 x 1011)(10) = 1.13x1012 Coulombs/m2
Yep ... except the units are wrong. They should be V/m. This really isn't your fault because in the original equation the units for the 1.13 x 1011 are actually Vm/C.
physics(L)10 said:
b) V = EL = (1.13x1012)(.0002m) = 2.26x108Volts
Close, 2 mm = 0.002 m.

For part (c), you know Q/A = 10 and you want Q. Do you know A?

BTW, these seem like really big numbers. Are you sure that Q/A = 10?

Don't you divide 2mm by 100 twice to get to m?

Yes, A is 0.36m. They give the dimensions of the plates as .6mx.6m

Yup, that's what they give in the question. It says charge density is 10 Coulombs/m2

physics(L)10 said:
Don't you divide 2mm by 100 twice to get to m?

No, there are 1000 millimeters in one meter so 1 mm = 0.001 m. You might be thinking of converting cm2 to m2. The square means you have to convert twice (and a cube would mean convert three times).

Did you get the answer to part (c)?

I posted it above ^ you didn't say if its correct or not lol.

Oh, I see. Sorry that one's wrong too.

But it's even easier to do this:

Q/A = 10, and A = 0.36 so, 10 = Q/.36 ...

So then the final answer is 3.6Coulombs?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electrically charged particles on each other. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

2. How is electric field different from electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in that same point in space.

3. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones, and are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines. Electric fields are also used in power generation and transmission, as well as in the production of lightning rods.

4. How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength is measured using a unit called volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of force that would be exerted on a charged particle at a specific point in space. The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force by the charge of the particle.

5. What are some factors that affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be affected by various factors, such as the distance between charged particles, the magnitude of the charges, and the type of medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles or objects in the vicinity can also influence the strength of the electric field.