What is energy density?

• Thread starter Geolay
  • Start date
and what is kinetic energy spectrum?

Answers and Replies

Energy density is the amount of energy per unit of volume. So if I have 10 joules of energy stored in a capacitor, and the capacitor has a volume of 0.001 cubic meters, then the capacitor has an average energy density of 10 / 0.001 = 10 000 joules per cubic meter (for the electrical energy it stores, that is).

As for "kinetic energy spectrum", you're going to have to explain a little bit more. Where did you see those words together?

thank you.

Energy density is the amount of energy per unit of volume. So if I have 10 joules of energy stored in a capacitor, and the capacitor has a volume of 0.001 cubic meters, then the capacitor has an average energy density of 10 / 0.001 = 10 000 joules per cubic meter (for the electrical energy it stores, that is).
From a layman who has wandered in from the sticks, thank you. I glimmer of light for me.

Can I apply the above reasoning to say a lithium battery? i.e. convert the stated battery capacity in ampere hours and use the physical dimensions to arrive at an "energy density" for said battery, assuming I get my sums right?