Gradient Energy: Definition & Classical Mechanics

In summary, page 40 of Spacetime and geometry by Sean M. Carroll discusses the classical mechanics of a single real scalar field, which includes contributions from kinetic energy, gradient energy, and potential energy. Gradient energy is the energy cost due to spatial variation of the field and is often used as a nomenclature. It can be compared to the variation of an electric field from point to point, but it should not be confused with an electric field itself. Some papers may use a scalar field to study the transportation of light, but in general, a time-dependent electric field cannot be represented solely by a scalar field.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Gradient energy is given by ##\frac 1 2 (\nabla \phi)^2##. What does it represent?
In page 40 of Spacetime and geometry by Sean M. Carroll, when consider the classical mechanics of a single real scalar field, it reads that the field will have an energy density including various contributions:
kinetic energy:##\frac 1 2 \dot \phi^2##
gradient energy:##\frac 1 2 (\nabla \phi)^2##
potential energy:##V(\phi)##

I am not familiar with gradient energy. I googled it, but it returns with energy gradient, which I do not think is the same thing.

Also, is this gradient energy introduced because it and kinetic energy can combine into a covariant form?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the energy cost due to spatial variation of the field phi. It's just nomenclature.

haushofer said:
It's the energy cost due to spatial variation of the field phi. It's just nomenclature.
Thanks. Is there any simple example that could help me memorize it?

I am thiking about electric field. Could I say the field vary from point to point, so the energy associated with one point is different from another one. The difference between two very close points will be something like gradient energy?

Haorong Wu said:
Thanks. Is there any simple example that could help me memorize it?

I am thiking about electric field. Could I say the field vary from point to point, so the energy associated with one point is different from another one. The difference between two very close points will be something like gradient energy?
Yes, as long as you don't confuse the electric field for a scalar field ;)

Hi, @haushofer . I am a little confused now. Could a scalar field not represent an electric field? I thought this was valid because in some papers, I read that the scalar field is used to study the transpotation of light. For example, in https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.04217 , the paragraph before Eq. (2).

Maybe in some effective treatment I'm not familiar with, but a general time dependent electric field cannot be written with just a scalar field.

• Informative
Likes Haorong Wu

1. What is gradient energy?

Gradient energy is a form of potential energy that exists in a system due to the variation of a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure, over space. It is also known as potential energy density.

2. How is gradient energy related to classical mechanics?

Gradient energy is a concept that is used in classical mechanics to describe the potential energy of a system. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to explain the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How is gradient energy calculated?

Gradient energy is calculated by taking the gradient of a potential energy function with respect to the position coordinates of the system. This gradient is then multiplied by the physical quantity that is varying over space, such as temperature or pressure.

4. What is an example of gradient energy in everyday life?

An example of gradient energy in everyday life is the potential energy of water at the top of a waterfall. The water at the top has a higher potential energy due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field, and this energy is released as it falls down the waterfall.

5. How does gradient energy affect the behavior of particles in a system?

Gradient energy affects the behavior of particles in a system by influencing their movement and interactions. Particles will tend to move towards areas of higher gradient energy, as this is where the potential energy is greater and they can decrease their overall energy. This can lead to the formation of concentration gradients and the movement of particles from areas of high concentration to low concentration.