Understanding the Stress-Energy Tensor in Special Relativity

In summary, the stress-energy tensor in special relativity, defined as ##T^{\mu\nu}=(\partial\mathcal{L}/\partial(\partial_\mu\phi_\alpha))\partial^\nu\phi_\alpha-g^{\mu\nu}\mathcal{L}##, has the property that ##\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu}=0##, equivalent to four continuity equations. This can be seen by noting that ##T_{00}## represents the energy density and using the equation ##\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu}=0## to derive the continuity equation ##\partial_t\mathcal{H}+\nabla\cdot(\partial\math
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I try to understand a demonstration in special relativity about the continuity equation
deduced from the stress-energy tensor
Hello,

I try to understand how to get the last relation below ##(3)## ( from stress energy tensor in special relativity - Wikipedia ).

This is to say that the divergence of the tensor in the brackets is ##0##. Indeed, with this, we define the stress-energy tensor:
##
T^{\mu \nu} \equiv \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_{\mu} \phi_{\alpha}\right)} \partial^{\nu} \phi_{\alpha}-g^{\mu \nu} \mathcal{L}\quad(1)
##
By construction it has the property that
##
\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu}=0\quad(2)
##

Note that this divergenceless property of this tensor is equivalent to four continuity equations. That is, fields have at least four sets of quantities that obey the continuity equation.

As an example, it can be seen that ##T_{0}^{0}## is the energy density of the system and that it is thus possible to obtain the Hamiltonian density from the stress-energy tensor.

Indeed, since this is the case, observing that ##\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu 0}=0,## we then have :

##
\frac{\partial \mathcal{H}}{\partial t}+\nabla \cdot\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha}} \dot{\phi}_{\alpha}\right)=0\quad(3)
##

We can then conclude that the terms of ##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha}} \dot{\phi}_{\alpha}## represent the energy flux density of the system.

I understand how to get equation ##(1)## but I don't grasp how to make appear the gradient operator in the dot product and the divergence operator in the bottom member nabla in equation ##(3)##, i.e ##\partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha}##.

Could anyone could help me to know how to introduce these 2 operators from equation ##(1)## ?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting from ##\,\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu 0}=0##,$$0 ~=~ \partial_0 T^{00} + \partial_k T^{k0}
~=~ \partial_0 {\mathcal H} ~+~ \partial_k \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right) ~-~ \xcancel{g^{k0}} \, \mathcal{L} ~.$$ Is that a sufficient clue?

@strangerep

Thanks for your help. I am just troubled by the writting of ##\nabla## in bottom term , i.e :

##\partial_k \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right)##.

If I expand this expression (without Einstein convention), we have :

##\partial_1 \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_1 \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right)+\partial_2 \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_2 \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right)+
\partial_3 \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_3 \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right)
##.

I thought initially that ##\nabla\,\cdot## was a dot product where ##\nabla## is the gradient vector :

##
\begin{align}
\begin{bmatrix}
\partial_1\\
\partial_2 \\
\partial_3
\end{bmatrix}
\end{align}
\cdot
##

whereas this seems to be rather the divergence operator, doesn't it ?

If this is the case, then :

Is the other ##\nabla## in bottom member ##\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha}} \dot{\phi}_{\alpha}\right)## not abusive ? since we don't sum over ##k## in this expression :

##\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha)\neq \partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha} ## as it is expressed above where I don't use Einstein's convention

Do you agree ?

fab13 said:
@strangerep
I am just troubled by the writting of ##\nabla## in bottom term , i.e :

##\partial_k \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha)} \, \partial^0 \phi_{\alpha}\right)##.
I consider it an abuse of notation, and never use it myself. For almost everything in physics I use explicit indices and the summation convention, since the meaning is much clearer that way (IMHO).

[...] Is the other ##\nabla## in bottom member ##\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha}} \dot{\phi}_{\alpha}\right)## not abusive ? since we don't sum over ##k## in this expression :

##\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha)\neq \partial \nabla \phi_{\alpha} ## as it is expressed above where I don't use Einstein's convention
You'd have to write something like $$\partial(\partial_k \phi_\alpha) ~=~ \partial \Big( \nabla \phi_{\alpha}\Big)_k ~,$$but it's still a bit confusing.

This is just one of those situations where you've got to mentally translate what's really going on, which is best done with explicit index notation. It's easy enough when you get the hang of it.

Likes vanhees71
ok, you reassure me since I wondered really why this nabla was appearing. Regards

1. What is the stress-energy tensor in special relativity?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical tool used in Einstein's theory of special relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given spacetime. It is a symmetric tensor that consists of 16 components, representing the energy density, momentum density, and stress in each direction.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor related to the theory of relativity?

The stress-energy tensor is a fundamental concept in special relativity, as it encapsulates the idea that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. It is also an essential component in Einstein's field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime due to the presence of matter and energy.

3. What are the physical implications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor allows us to understand how energy and momentum are distributed in a given spacetime. It helps us to calculate the gravitational effects of mass and energy, as well as the behavior of particles in a curved spacetime. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of black holes and the expansion of the universe.

4. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the energy-momentum 4-vector, which contains information about the energy and momentum of a particle in a given reference frame. It is also affected by the stress, or pressure, exerted by the particle. By taking into account all of these factors, the stress-energy tensor can be calculated for a specific point in spacetime.

5. What are some practical applications of the stress-energy tensor in special relativity?

The stress-energy tensor has many applications in modern physics, including in the fields of cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It is used to understand the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors and particle accelerators.