What is graduate study in black holes at UCSB like?

In summary: There are a lot of different research areas that could be of interest to you. You might want to consider specializing in one or two areas. It's always a good idea to do a bit of research on the schools you're considering before applying, just to make sure that it's the right fit for you.In summary, it sounds like you're interested in studying black holes and you're a bit worried about the admission process. You might want to try contacting people within the department itself or research some of the work being done in the field. And if you still have doubts, you might want to consider specializing in one or two areas of research.
tien_bui
Hi everybody,

I am thinking of applying to the grad school at UCSB. I am interested in the theoretical studies of black holes and I’ve heard UCSB is very active in that area. Could someone give me an advice of how it is like? Also, I am a bit worried because of the rumour that it's extremely difficult for international students to get admitted. Is it true?

By the way, do you know any other institutes that are active in theoretical research of black holes? I have little clue apart from UCSB. I guess it's safer to apply to more places. I don't much mind where. Would really appreciate if someone could give me a suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty specific request. You might want to try contacting people within the department itself if you don't get the answers you're looking for here. Normally departments will post the contact info of people in the program. You can always try contacting a few current graduate students to ask them directly about their experiences.

I wouldn't worry about how hard admission is for international students. Assume that it's going to be a very competitive process for everyone, regardless of your background. You can contact the department to find out some of the typical admission statistics if those aren't already posted. And this is one of those pieces of information that a lot of people tend to fret over, but aside from making the decision on whether or not to apply, there isn't much that you can do differently once you have it. Assume that you'll need to put your best foot forward.

Rather than getting suggestions about places that are active in black hole research, why not try reading up on the research that's being done yourself? Start browsing some journals and try to figure out what people are doing in the field right now (or at least in recent years). What kinds of projects look interesting to you? Once you've identified a few places that look interesting, follow the byline information and check out their graduate programs.

Likes BvU
Are you interested in computational general relativity, or quantum gravity? I've never heard of just studying black holes.

1. What is the focus of graduate study in black holes at UCSB?

The focus of graduate study in black holes at UCSB is on the theoretical and observational aspects of these mysterious astronomical objects. Students will learn about the physics and mathematics behind black holes, as well as the techniques used to study them.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate program in black holes at UCSB?

The length of time to complete a graduate program in black holes at UCSB can vary, but typically it takes 5-6 years. This includes coursework, research, and the completion of a thesis or dissertation.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available for graduate students studying black holes at UCSB?

Graduate students studying black holes at UCSB have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty on cutting-edge research projects. They may have the chance to use telescopes and other advanced equipment, analyze data, and collaborate with other scientists in the field.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites for applying to the graduate program in black holes at UCSB?

While there are no specific prerequisites, a strong background in physics, mathematics, and astronomy is highly recommended. Additionally, having research experience in these fields can make a candidate more competitive for admission.

5. What sets the graduate program in black holes at UCSB apart from others?

The graduate program in black holes at UCSB is unique in its interdisciplinary approach to studying these objects. Students have the opportunity to work with faculty from different departments, such as physics, astronomy, and astrophysics, allowing for a well-rounded education and research experience.