1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Incompressible material?

1. Oct 28, 2015 #1
    I sent a summary about ultrasound elastography to my teacher and somehow I wrote incompressible material in my paper. now he wants me to really explain him what is Incompressible material.
    I looked at internet about compressibility and Poisson ratio but doesn't still give a good understanding of incompressibility . can any one give me a solid answer to this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2
    I realize you don't fully understand incompressibility, but please tell us your current understanding of this concept.

Chet

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    this is what I have written so far and I have understood :

I have actually understood it. the materials that can not be compresses under a stress like a rubber. but I can not give a scientific definition about it

5. Oct 28, 2015 #4
    The definition is: the derivative of the specific volume (volume per unit mass) with respect to the sum of the three principal stresses is equal to zero.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted