Airfoil drag prediction in incompressible and inviscid flow

In summary: It seems like the consensus for airfoils in incompressible and inviscid flow is that they cannot produce drag; or at least, we are not able to predict it elegantly. I think some people even believe that you simply cannot have drag in inviscid flow. Thin Airfoil Theory and Vortex Panel Methods predict zero drag. Wake momentum thickness approach (e.g. XFOIL) estimates drag by using (I think) control volumes and the airfoil wake flow field, but it does not seem like an elegant approach, and is much more complicated than computing lift.I devised a physics model that predicts drag in an elegant way, as easy as lift, and matches almost exactly with NACA
lordvon
What is the most elegant way of predicting drag on an airfoil in inviscid and incompressible flow? Or is this still an open problem?

It seems like the consensus for airfoils in incompressible and inviscid flow is that they cannot produce drag; or at least, we are not able to predict it elegantly. I think some people even believe that you simply cannot have drag in inviscid flow. Thin Airfoil Theory and Vortex Panel Methods predict zero drag. Wake momentum thickness approach (e.g. XFOIL) estimates drag by using (I think) control volumes and the airfoil wake flow field, but it does not seem like an elegant approach, and is much more complicated than computing lift.

I devised a physics model that predicts drag in an elegant way, as easy as lift, and matches almost exactly with NACA airfoil experimental data (before stall, of course). I am having a hard time believing no one else thought of this, so I am suspicious that something is wrong with my method or I missed it in literature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Inviscid flow? What drag? Inviscid flows are subject to D'Alembert's paradox, which predicts zero drag. This isn't an issue of inelegant modeling, but an issue of simply not capturing the relevant physics leading to drag when inviscid flow is assumed. In inviscid models that do predict drag, there has to have been some kind of modeling done internally that simulates the effects of viscosity on some level in order to predict drag.

Now, all of that said, drag is still incredibly difficult to predict. Even full CFD simulations have a difficult time getting accurate results, in large part because of the inherent dependence on the differences between laminar and turbulent boundary layers and the fact that predicting that transition is effectively impossible with current understanding, and simulating the full range of scales in a fully-turbulent boundary layer is computationally expensive.

Thanks for your reply!

I am actually not sure D'Alembert's paradox should really be a "paradox" for a non-lifting body. As idealized as inviscid and incompressible flow is, why should we be surprised that there is no drag on a non-lifting body? We know plainly that including unsteadiness and viscosity can result in drag. As an analogy, is it paradoxical that gravity alone cannot predict a terminal velocity? It is plain to see that fluid resistance causes terminal velocity.

However, I do believe that for a lifting body, drag should be produced, and there is indeed additional physics missing from Thin Airfoil Theory and Vortex Panel Methods. What you say is extremely interesting, because a lot of people believe it -- that there can be no drag without viscosity. However, conservation of momentum must hold for fluid flow -- viscous or not. I believe there is much confusion about what drag is at a fundamental level.

My intuition was that we shouldn't need Navier-Stokes CFD (or empirical wake momentum thickness methods) to see any drag at all. Sure, drag (and lift) can be sensitive to turbulence and such, but drag is more fundamental than that level of physics, just like lift. It should be calculable in our inviscid and incompressible flow models.

This absence of an elegant explanation for drag (especially since lift is relatively easily calculated) has actually bothered me for a long time, and I finally came up with an elegant model that almost exactly matches NACA airfoil data up until stall. I just wanted to confirm that no such explanation already exists.

1. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a shape designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It is commonly used in the design of wings for aircraft and blades for propellers and turbines.

2. What is drag in relation to airfoil design?

Drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and is caused by the resistance of the air to the movement of an object. In airfoil design, minimizing drag is important in order to maximize the lift and efficiency of the airfoil.

3. What does "incompressible and inviscid flow" mean in the context of airfoil drag prediction?

Incompressible and inviscid flow refers to a fluid flow that is assumed to have no changes in density and no internal friction, respectively. This assumption simplifies the equations used to predict airfoil drag, but is not entirely accurate as real-world fluid flows are compressible and exhibit some level of viscosity.

4. How is airfoil drag predicted in incompressible and inviscid flow?

The most commonly used method for predicting airfoil drag in incompressible and inviscid flow is the panel method. This involves dividing the airfoil surface into small panels and using a mathematical model to calculate the lift and drag forces acting on each panel. The sum of these forces gives an estimate of the total drag on the airfoil.

5. What are some factors that affect airfoil drag in incompressible and inviscid flow?

Some factors that can affect airfoil drag in incompressible and inviscid flow include the shape and size of the airfoil, the angle of attack (the angle between the airfoil and the direction of the air flow), and the airfoil's surface roughness. Other factors such as air temperature and density can also have an impact on airfoil drag.