What is Integration? Help Understanding Symbols & Process

• Thread starter mathman100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, a student was confused about the concept of integration and its symbols after being introduced to it in a lecture. They received advice to ask their professor for clarification and to consult their textbook. Integration is essentially a more advanced form of addition or multiplication, and is used to find the area under a curve or between the x-axis and a given curve over a specific interval. It is the opposite operation of derivation and involves summation of infinitely small pieces. The symbols used in integration are simply representations of the operation and the range of values it is being applied to.
mathman100
ok, so in one of my lectures our prof. showed us a graph, (that pretty much looked like an upside down parabola.) We had to find the area under the curve, and she told us we had to use integration. I'd never even heard of it before, and I don't understand what all the symbols mean, or how to use them. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to learn some calculus, start frequenting the math forum. In a very modest, brief definition, integration is the process of adding infinitely small pieces togther to make a whole.(NOT THE MATHMATICALLY RIGOROUS DEFINITION FOR SURE!) Integration can be used to find the area under a curve.

mathman100 said:
ok, so in one of my lectures our prof. showed us a graph, (that pretty much looked like an upside down parabola.) We had to find the area under the curve, and she told us we had to use integration. I'd never even heard of it before, and I don't understand what all the symbols mean, or how to use them. Can anyone help me out?

What class is it for? That's really odd that a teacher would be like, "use integration to find the area under the graph" when you've never done it before.

Unless she was going to be explaining what integration was? that would make more sense.

You should ask her what integration is. Everyone else in the class is probably where you are at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

What do you know? Have you learned differential calculus (how to find derivatives, etc.)? Did you miss any lectures in which integration may have been explained? Do you have all the prerequisites for this course (and are you sure you're in the right course?!)?

Essentially, there are two branches to calculus, integral calculus and differential calculus. Differential calculus deals with differentiation, and integral calculus deals with antidifferentiation.

You also undoubtedly have a textbook assigned for this course. In addition to asking your instructor to explain things, you should probably take a look at it! It'll undoubtedly explain integration, though it's very strange that you're in a course where your instructor assumes knowledge of integral calculus and you've never heard of it before (especially if, as I'd guess, this is a first-year university course? They should know what you're expected to have learned already!).

Last edited:
Integration is just 'big-boy' addition.

Plastic Photon said:
Integration is just 'big-boy' addition.

Or multiplication, because it's repeated addition and turns distance into area, area into volume, etc.

basically it's opposite of derivation. in slang it'd be defined as "kicking an equation up to the next level"

it's like getting distance traveled if you know speed...or getting speed if you know acceleration. Or getting area if you know perimeter...or volume if you know area.

in plain math, it's finding area between the x-axis and the curve you're looking at over a closed interval...and it's the opposite operation than derivation. Yes it's the super-steroids version of an addition in a way.

the symbols are pretty simple if you look at them 1 by 1.

[tex]\int[/tex] is just the symbol of operation. the lower and upper numbers tell you between what values of x you do this operation...and the dy/dx or dx...just is, and does nothing but make the operation possible (it's easier to put it that way even if some smart people will trow rotten tomatoes at me for saying that).

It's basically the limit as a summation approaches a number right?

Yep, summation of an infinite number of infinitely thin polygons whose length is defined by the value of the function at that point.

To the OP: if it's a new course, and you haven't heard of integration, I'd be worried what other prerequisites you don't know about...

What is Integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept and process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is a fundamental tool used in calculus and has many applications in science, engineering, and economics.

What are the symbols used in Integration?

The most commonly used symbol in integration is the integral sign (∫), which represents the integration process. Other symbols include the variable of integration, the limits of integration, and the integrand, which is the function being integrated.

What is the process of Integration?

The process of integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function, also known as the indefinite integral. This involves using integration rules and techniques to manipulate the integrand and solve for the antiderivative. The definite integral, which involves evaluating the antiderivative at specific limits of integration, gives the final result of the integration process.

What are the different types of Integration?

There are two main types of integration: indefinite and definite. Indefinite integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function without specific limits of integration. Definite integration involves evaluating the antiderivative at specific limits of integration to find the exact numerical value of the integral.

What are the applications of Integration?

Integration has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and centers of mass, as well as to solve differential equations and optimize functions. Many real-world problems can be modeled and solved using integration.