What is "kadrai" as a cooking ingredient?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary, a Youtube video shows the use of "kadrai" as a component in puffing rice. This term is Lithuanian and can be interpreted as "frame" or "group". The video seems to refer to the pan used for frying the rice, which resembles a Chinese wok. The addition of "kadrai" and salt in the video is a different technique for puffing rice without oil and sand.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
A Youtube video shows using "kadrai" as an ingredient in puffing rice. What is "kadrai"?
A Youtube video, which I can't translate, shows using "kadrai" as a component in puffing rice. What is "kadrai"?

4:13 in

Physics news on Phys.org
"Aluminum kadrai" suggests it is not a component, but kind of the pot/pan used, doesn't it?

Two minutes with Google shows 'kadrai' is Lithuanian and may be interpreted as 'frame' or as 'group'. There may be other interpretations but I stopped there.

As @Borek suggested, the video seems to refer to the pan the rice is initially fried in. It looks much like a Chinese Wok, or bowl shaped frying pan. (that should be a rather common kitchen "ingredient." :oldbiggrin: )

The guy in the video doesn't look nor sound Lithuanian :wink:

Borek said:
"Aluminum kadrai" suggests it is not a component, but kind of the pot/pan used, doesn't it?

In the video, I think it is the white powder added to the rice. A different technique of puffing rice is to add rice to hot sand. The "kadrai" in the video might be an inorganic powder that substitutes for sand.

If you watched the movie, the text at the top of the movie screen says "Puffed Rice Without Oil and Sand".
The text overlays at 4:13 and 4:22 refer to "SALT."

Yes, I agree. The "kadrai" is the pan and the white powder is salt.

1. What is "kadrai"?

"Kadrai" is a type of cooking ingredient that is commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is a type of spice that is made from dried and ground fenugreek leaves.

2. How is "kadrai" used in cooking?

"Kadrai" is often used as a flavoring agent in various dishes, such as curries, stews, and sauces. It is also commonly used as a garnish or topping for dishes, adding a unique and slightly bitter flavor.

3. What does "kadrai" taste like?

"Kadrai" has a unique and slightly bitter taste, similar to celery or fennel. It also has a slightly nutty and earthy flavor, making it a versatile and flavorful addition to many dishes.

4. Can "kadrai" be substituted with other spices?

While there is no exact substitute for "kadrai," some spices that can be used as alternatives include dried fenugreek leaves, ground mustard, or ground celery seed. However, these substitutes may alter the overall flavor of the dish.

5. Where can I purchase "kadrai"?

"Kadrai" can be found in most grocery stores in the spice aisle, or in specialty stores that carry Indian spices. It can also be purchased online from various retailers. Make sure to check the expiration date and quality of the product before purchasing.