Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is kinetic capacitance in superconductors or in solid state in general?

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    What is "kinetic capacitance" in superconductors or in solid state in general?

Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me what "kinetic capacitance" is, particularly in the context of superconductors or solids.

I understand "kinetic inductance" which comes from the kinetic energy of the conducting electrons but can not make the analogy for capacitance.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2
    Re: What is "kinetic capacitance" in superconductors or in solid state in general?

try looking up 'quantum phase slip' but the math is not for the faint hearted

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3
    Re: What is "kinetic capacitance" in superconductors or in solid state in general?

Thanks, Sambristol! In fact my question on "kinetic capacitance" comes from studying "quantum phase slip". I understand it as a combination of coefficients with the dimension of capacitance in the "effective action" introduced by Golubev and Zaikin; however, I was hoping to get some physical intuition too or at least know the literature it was introduced first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook