Moore's Law: Definition & Overview

In summary, Moore's Law is a principle stating that the processing power of computers will double every 18 months. It was first proposed in the mid-1960s and has been a driving force behind the rapid advancement of technology. It can easily be found by using a search engine and is not a topic that promotes discussion.
Sherwyn
what is Moore's Law?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The processing power of the computer will increase every 18 months (approximately). I think this came out sometime in the mid-60's IIRC.

EDIT: Here's something better than what I said -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Sherwyn,

Seriously... can you please learn how to use a search engine? There is no sense in asking questions here which you could answer yourself with literally ten seconds of Google searches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_Law

- Warren

chroot said:
Sherwyn,

Seriously... can you please learn how to use a search engine? There is no sense in asking questions here which you could answer yourself with literally ten seconds of Google searches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_Law

- Warren

My response to that is why use a search engine when i can talk to real people, who i can continue to talk to if i happen to have another question. An encyclopedia can't do that. Isn't that what this forum was created for?

Sherwyn,

If you had asked some detailed question about the way that Moore's law is figured -- "is it chip area? transistor count?" -- that would have been an appropriate question, because it would have provoked discussion.

On the other hand, "What color is a banana?" is not an appropriate question, because two seconds of searching would provide you the answer, and there's really nothing at all to discuss about it.

This is a discussion website. Questions which promote discussion are very welcome here. Trivial questions which could be answered by reading the first sentence of the first page found by Google are, in general, a waste of resources.

Feel free to continue asking such questions -- you're not breaking any rules -- but you'll get the information much more quickly by just learning to use a search tool yourself.

- Warren

Sherwyn said:
My response to that is why use a search engine when i can talk to real people...
You could get the answer faster using a search engine and you won't annoy us into cutting you off.

What is Moore's Law?

Moore's Law is a prediction made by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore in 1965, stating that the number of transistors on a microchip will double approximately every two years, resulting in exponential growth in processing power and decrease in cost.

Why is Moore's Law important?

Moore's Law serves as a guideline for the development and advancement of technology, as it has accurately predicted the capabilities of microchips for over five decades. It has also influenced the development of other industries, such as software and hardware design.

Is Moore's Law still relevant today?

While some experts believe that Moore's Law may be reaching its limits due to the physical constraints of chip manufacturing, it remains relevant as a concept and continues to guide the progress of technology. Some companies, such as Intel, have also found ways to continue increasing the number of transistors on a chip in accordance with Moore's Law.

What are some potential implications of Moore's Law?

Moore's Law has led to the development of smaller, faster, and more efficient devices, such as smartphones and laptops. It has also contributed to the growth of industries such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things. However, it has also raised concerns about electronic waste and the sustainability of constantly upgrading technology.

Who is responsible for Moore's Law?

Gordon Moore, along with Robert Noyce, co-founded Intel Corporation, which is responsible for developing and manufacturing microchips in accordance with Moore's Law. However, Moore's Law has also been adopted and referenced by other technology companies and industries.