Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Moore's Law?

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    what is Moore's Law?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2
    The processing power of the computer will increase every 18 months (approximately). I think this came out sometime in the mid-60's IIRC.

EDIT: Here's something better than what I said -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sherwyn,

Seriously... can you please learn how to use a search engine? There is no sense in asking questions here which you could answer yourself with literally ten seconds of Google searches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_Law

- Warren

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4
    My response to that is why use a search engine when i can talk to real people, who i can continue to talk to if i happen to have another question. An encyclopedia cant do that. Isn't that what this forum was created for?

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sherwyn,

If you had asked some detailed question about the way that Moore's law is figured -- "is it chip area? transistor count?" -- that would have been an appropriate question, because it would have provoked discussion.

On the other hand, "What color is a banana?" is not an appropriate question, because two seconds of searching would provide you the answer, and there's really nothing at all to discuss about it.

This is a discussion website. Questions which promote discussion are very welcome here. Trivial questions which could be answered by reading the first sentence of the first page found by Google are, in general, a waste of resources.

Feel free to continue asking such questions -- you're not breaking any rules -- but you'll get the information much more quickly by just learning to use a search tool yourself.

- Warren

7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You could get the answer faster using a search engine and you won't annoy us into cutting you off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?