What is q and what is the charge (negative or positive)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
SkyHawkProfessor
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
HW one Physics 2.jpg

Three identical point charges, each of mass m 0.10kg and charge q, hang from three

strings, as pictured below. The lengths of the left and right strings are L 30.0cm

and the angle is 45.0o.

Just on looking at the picture I think the charge is positive since there is tension separation the three masses. I'm confused on how to get q. Should I be looking at the space separating the masses on the x-axis? or be more focused on gravity's role?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SkyHawkProfessor said:
View attachment 94523
Three identical point charges, each of mass m 0.10kg and charge q, hang from three

strings, as pictured below. The lengths of the left and right strings are L 30.0cm

and the angle is 45.0o.

Just on looking at the picture I think the charge is positive since there is tension separation the three masses. I'm confused on how to get q. Should I be looking at the space separating the masses on the x-axis? or be more focused on gravity's role?
Draw a free body diagram for one of the side masses and consider the forces acting on it.
It doesn't matter whether q is positive or negative. What matters is that the three charges are the same, including their signs.