What is the acceleration and tension in a pulley system?

  • Thread starter Thread starter megaforcetkd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beginner Pully
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
megaforcetkd
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Apply Newton's second law to find formulas for the magnitude of the acceleration of the system and for the tension in the cord. Ignore friction and the masses of the pulley and cord. (Use only the following: m_1 for m1, m_2 for m2, and g for gravity.)

a = ?
T = ?

Homework Equations



Sum forces = ma?


The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly have no idea how to do this..
 
Attachments
  • 4-49fig.gif
    4-49fig.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Identify all forces acting on each mass
(2) Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass separately
 
Well we don't have any numbers to work with so I'm trying to figure out just formulas.. I have no idea how to go about this.. I've just started this course and I haven't learned very much to do this..
 
You don't need numbers. Just label the forces with symbols. For example: The tension force from the string can be labeled "T". Express the force of gravity in terms of mg. Call the acceleration "a".

Reading this over might help you: Standard Newton's Laws Problems