What is the Age Range of Scientists in the Nuclear Engineering Field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter eosphorus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
87 replies · 11K views
Not in Florida, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure its 21.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Damn, do you guys have anything going for you aside from no state income tax? I suppose South Beach is supposed to be pretty nice.
 
Entropy said:
Not in Florida, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure its 21.
http://www.rjrt.com/legal/stateLawView.asp?State=fl

Florida Tobacco Laws

A summary of Florida state law is provided below
(for specific questions regarding state law, contact your legal advisor.)

Minimum Age Customers must be 18 years or older to purchase tobacco products.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
loseyourname said:
Wait a second. If you're 20, you can buy cigarettes, can't you?
Entropy is 18 years and ~224 days old.
 
hitssquad said:
Entropy is 18 years and ~224 days old.

Wait? If he thinks the legal age to buy cigarettes is 21, and the legal age to drink is 21, and he'll said he'll be able to do both in less than a year, that means he's 20.

How old are you?
 
Scroll up, LYN. "871 more days..."

I did the math from 21 and zero days. His birthdate is also on his user profile.
 
hitssquad said:
Scroll up, LYN. "871 more days..."

I did the math from 21 and zero days. His birthdate is also on his user profile.

Ah crap. The GD effect perfectly illustrated.

So you aren't going to say how old you are, are you?
 
Oh, turns out I can legally smoke! Not that I'd want too. My dad smokes and I remind him everyday how I'll have to explain to his grandchildren why they don't have a grandfather (atleast only one, anyway).

I'll be 19 December 27th. So I'll be 21 in roughly 870 days (pasted midnight were I live), unless there is a leap year soon or I just plain calculated wrong.
 
loseyourname said:
So you aren't going to say how old you are, are you?
Nor will he admit he's D.B. Cooper.
 
The units-manipulation rhetoric device

By the way, loseyourname, this reminds me of a rhetoric device I learned a few years ago. Using smaller units, even though they force the use of larger quantification, can make an audience think in terms of smallness — and vice versa. (Maybe the subconscious mind thinks, "Well, if it can be measured in units that small, it must not be very large.")

For example, a corporation trying to downplay its own size in a given PR instance might say it has $800 million in annual sales. In another PR instance, that same corporation might say it as four-fifths of a billion dollars in annual sales. (If the sales can be measured in billions, they must be big, right?)

Chevrolet, trying to convince its European customers of how good a job it did in reducing the length of the 2005 Corvette, might say the car has a length of 175.0 inches. (If it can be measured in inches, it must be short.) Porsche might reply by saying the car is grossly long at over 14 feet. (If it can be measured in feet, it must be very long, indeed.) In fact, the latest Corvette is so long it streches over 2 3/4 thousandths of a mile, from bumper to bumper. How many other cars can be measured in units of miles?
 
I'm 16.

On another note, I've zoquoed recently (there, I got the l reached the minimum too).
 
Smasherman said:
I'm 16.

On another note, I've zoquoed recently (there, I got the l reached the minimum too).

:smile:

zoquo (zo-kwo) v. to add extra characters or words to a post on PF in order to meet the 10 character minimum.
 
hitssquad said:
By the way, loseyourname, this reminds me of a rhetoric device I learned a few years ago. Using smaller units, even though they force the use of larger quantification, can make an audience think in terms of smallness — and vice versa. (Maybe the subconscious mind thinks, "Well, if it can be measured in units that small, it must not be very large.")

For example, a corporation trying to downplay its own size in a given PR instance might say it has $800 million in annual sales. In another PR instance, that same corporation might say it as four-fifths of a billion dollars in annual sales. (If the sales can be measured in billions, they must be big, right?)

Chevrolet, trying to convince its European customers of how good a job it did in reducing the length of the 2005 Corvette, might say the car has a length of 175.0 inches. (If it can be measured in inches, it must be short.) Porsche might reply by saying the car is grossly long at over 14 feet. (If it can be measured in feet, it must be very long, indeed.) In fact, the latest Corvette is so long it streches over 2 3/4 thousandths of a mile, from bumper to bumper. How many other cars can be measured in units of miles?

So I take it you aren't giving your age? Not even in seconds or millenia?
 
loseyourname said:
So I take it you aren't giving your age? Not even in seconds or millenia?
If he started telling us anything about himself, he would have to give up his title as most mysterious PFer. :biggrin:
 
Moonbear said:
If he started telling us anything about himself, he would have to give up his title as most mysterious PFer. :biggrin:
I agree, and hope he continues to reveal nothing. It's something like Wilson on Home Improvement: you never see the lower half of his face, and it is never explained why. And hitsquad, like Wilson, generally has all the answers.
 
Evo said:
My guess...hitssquad is 35-39.
Such a narrow margin of probability could only arise from one source: hitsquad, himself. Therefore, I deduce:

YOU ARE HITSQUAD!
 
Wow, that may be the most logical thing Zooby has ever said in GD.
 
zoobyshoe said:
Such a narrow margin of probability could only arise from one source: hitsquad, himself. Therefore, I deduce:

YOU ARE HITSQUAD!
Aw crud, I've been discovered. :rolleyes:
 
Evo said:
Aw crud, I've been discovered. :rolleyes:
I liked you better when you were a girl
 
Smurf said:
I liked you better when you were a girl
Double crud. :frown:

(should I confess that I'm not hitssquad?)
 
Evo said:
Aw crud, I've been discovered.:rolleyes:
And your real name is neither hitsquad nor Evo, but Squadley Evo Google, and your googling skills are due to the amazing fact that you are:

The Inventor Of Google![/size]
 
Smurf said:
Google's not an invention, it's a company.
I invented it. Then it became a company. :devil:

Funny, altavista was doing well, but then google took off and altavista didn't. :confused: It was probably due in part to altavista screwing up and losing their domain name to a squatter for awhile.
 
Evo said:
My guess...hitssquad is 35-39.
I think he might be around 20 or so, based on his comments about his studies in nuclear engineering at Oregon State.