mmusiak said:
In the most recent postings on LIGO, it is stated that the amplitude of the signal is less than the diameter of a proton after the propagation of the wave over billions of light years. I am assuming that the wave amplitude will decay as 1/r^2, but perhaps that is an incorrect assumption. So is there a way to calculate how big the magnitude of the wave will be at the source (colliding black holes or neutron stars)? If the wave does decay with distance, I assume it would start with an amplitude in kilometers, what would that mean in the physical space close to the source? Would an object in front of me be suddenly miles away as the wave passes, or would everything just be ripped apart? How far would you have to be before you could survive the passage?
In the simplest case, for a + polarized gravity wave, if h(t) is the strain function, the effective stress-energy tensor, which you can regard as the energy / unit volume averaged over a cycle of the radiation, is proportional to ##(dh/dt)^2##. See
http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~chirata/ph236/2011-12/lec14.pdf. Things are more complicated if you have both + and x polarizations (which Ligo almost surely does) - see the paper for more details for the formula where you have both polarizations.
Before I get into explaining some of the fine print, let me say that this means that assuming the wave-packet keeps the same shape (which should be true), then the strain amplitude dies off as 1/r, not 1/r^2. This follows from the fact that if the waveshape is the same, ##d/dt \, [a h(t)] = a \, dh/dt##.
Now for the fine print from the reference I cited earlier.
Now if we are interested in the average effective energy flux carried by gravitational waves, we may average this over a wave period. In fact, it is not even meaningful to average this over a fraction of a wave period, since the result is then gauge-dependent.
I forget the name of the lecturer who illustrated translation symmetry by translating (i.e. moving) his hands, rotation symmetry by rotating and twisting them, and gauge symmetry by waving his hands and making mystical noises.. But informally, a dependence on gauge means that something just isn't well defined, because equally plausible assumptions give you different answers.
Energy in GR is just not as well defined as it is in Newtonian mechanics. I can't begin to offer a full explanation in this short post, but I can at least warn readers of this (getting them to believe it seems to be harder).