What is the Angular Speed of a Toy Train's Wheel in a Rotating Track System?

In summary, a toy train track with a mass of 3.59 kg and a radius of 1.79 m is mounted on a large wheel that can rotate freely. A toy train with a mass of 0.203 kg is placed on the track and, with the electric power turned on, reaches a steady speed of 0.551 m/s with respect to the track. Using conservation of momentum, the angular speed of the wheel is calculated to be 0.0165 rad/s.
ViewtifulBeau
A toy train track is mounted on a large wheel that is free to turn with negligible friction about a vertical axis as shown in the figure above. The mass of the wheel plus track is 3.59 kg and the radius is 1.79 m. Ignore the mass of the spokes and hub. A toy train of mass 0.203 kg is placed on the track and, with the system initially at rest, the electric power is turned on. The train reaches a steady speed of 0.551 m/s with respect to the track. What is the angular speed of the wheel?

I found the momentum of the train and used conservation of momentum and applied it to the track. I have a question though. What two momentums should I be conserving? should it be the ( masses of the entire train-track system) * w =(mass of the train only) *(given velocity (converted to w))?

Physics news on Phys.org
w(t) = .30782 = (velocity/circumference) * 2*pi
I(t) = .65043 = m(t) * radius^2
I(system) = 12.15315 = (m(w)+m(t)) * (radius)^2
w(system) = w(t)*I(t) / I(system)
= .0165

not right! please help.

n/m i got it

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate of rotation, while linear speed measures the rate of change in position. Angular speed is dependent on the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear speed is dependent on the distance traveled.

3. How is angular speed of a toy train calculated?

The angular speed of a toy train can be calculated by dividing the angle through which the train has rotated by the time it took to rotate that angle. This can be expressed as ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What factors can affect the angular speed of a toy train?

The angular speed of a toy train can be affected by the size and shape of the train's wheels, the surface it is traveling on, and any external forces acting on the train (such as friction or air resistance).

5. How does the angular speed of a toy train impact its movement?

The angular speed of a toy train determines how quickly it will rotate and how fast it will cover a certain distance. A higher angular speed will result in a faster rotation and faster movement, while a lower angular speed will result in a slower rotation and slower movement.