What is the area element of angular distribution of charge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Kosta1234
Messages
45
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Attempting to find a solution
Relevant Equations
$$ Q = \sigma ( \theta ) dA $$
I'm trying to get the Electric Field of a Thin spherical shell along $$ \hat z $$ axis.
In this problem I've got a charge/area density:
σ(θ)=σ0⋅cos(θ)σ(θ)=σ0⋅cos(θ)​
.
θ∈[0,π]θ∈[0,π]​
(theta is the polar angle)Can you please help me with how can I know the area element?
thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The spherical volume element of a sphere at radius ##r## is given by ##dV=r^2~dr~\sin\theta~d\theta ~d\phi.## An area element on the surface of that sphere is that divided by ##dr##, namely ##dA=r^2~\sin\theta~d\theta~ d\phi.##

More correctly, you should write ##dQ=\sigma(\theta)dA## for an element of charge on the surface. Then the total charge on the surface will be ##Q=\int σ(θ)dA##.