What Is the Average Force of Impact on a Ball Struck by a Bat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fizziksr0cks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
fizziksr0cks
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ball with a mass of .2 kg traveling at a speed of 26 m/s is struck by a bat. If the duration of the impulse is .001 seconds and the speed of the ball afterwards is the same as before, what is the average force (to the nearest Newton) of the impact? On the other hand, if the magnitude of the average force is 20000 N, what is the speed to the nearest m/s after collision?

Homework Equations



Fnett =[tex]\Delta[/tex]p = m[tex]\Delta[/tex]v

The Attempt at a Solution



F=(.2 kg)(26m/s-0)/.001 = 5200

This answer is always 1/2 off the correct answer so I'm not sure if the equation I'm using is wrong or if I'm applying it incorrectly. As for the second question, I'm not quite sure where to go with it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha I got the answer. It goes back to thinking Kinematics equations where vf=vi+at

therefore, to get the acceleration you use Newton's second law: F=ma where F= 20000N and m = .2 to get a = 100,000

vf = vi + at
vf= 26 - (100,000)(.001)
vf = -74 m/s
vf is 74 m/s in the opposite direction it was thrown in

hope this helps someone else that's stuck