What is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

• Thread starter cdubsean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a steel ball bouncing off a wall with a given speed and angle. The question is to find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall in units of N. The attempt at a solution involves finding the impulse and using it to calculate the average force, but the initial attempt is incorrect due to adding and subtracting x and y components of the momentum vectors. The correct solution involves finding the change in momentum in the direction perpendicular to the wall and dividing by the given time.
cdubsean

Homework Statement

A 4 kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed
of 16 m/s at an angle of 50.6◦ with the normal
to the wall. It bounces off with the same
speed and angle, as shown in the figure.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4498/physicspic1.png"

If the ball is in contact with the wall for
0.277 s, what is the magnitude of the average
force exerted on the ball by the wall?
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

Im = mvsin(8)i+mvcos(8)j
Fm= -mvsin(8)i+mvcos(8)j
Impulse = Fm - I am
Force average = Impulse/Time

8 = THeta

The Attempt at a Solution

Im = (4kg)(16m/s)(sin39.4) + (4kg)(16m/s)(cos39.4) = 90.078

Fm = -(4kg)(16m/s)(sin39.4) + (4kg)(16m/s)(cos39.4) = 8.832

Impulse = (8.832)-(90.078) = -81.246 Which I also found Impulse = -2(Mass)(Velocity)(Sin(8))

Then F adv= (-81.246)/ .227s = -357.912 N

This should be the case, but apparently I am wrong, can some one help me find my mistake, and I am aware I am useing a different angle than what is given, I am using the angle off the wall. So instead of 50.6 degrees, I am using 39.4 degrees. :) Help Plz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cdubsean said:

You cannot add the x and y components of the momentum vectors like this. It is meaningless and incorrect. To find the impulse, you need to subtract x-xomponent from x-component and y-component from y-component.

I have found my error. I plugged in .227 seconds instead of .277 seconds to get the right answer.

And to kuruman... I can and it worked. basically, what i did was found the momentum going in minus the momentum going out, the devided by the correct time to get the adverage force.

so the momentum going in is both a x and y component minus the x( in this case negative) and y.

So final is

Then F adv= (-81.246)/ .277s = -293.307 N But since we are looking for the magnatude of the average force we make the answer positive.

= 293.307 N which is correct.

And to kuruman... I can and it worked.

It worked essentially by dumb luck. The correct expression involves the change in momentum in the direction perpendicular to the wall only. That is take

(4kg)(16m/s)(sin39.4)-(-(4kg)(16m/s)(sin39.4))

and divide by 0.227 seconds.

You added and subtracted the other component, (4kg)(16m/s)(cos39.4), so you ended up with the right answer. The fact that you got the right answer in this particular problem does not justify adding x and y components of vectors (as you have done) for all problems that you will have to face in the future. Of course you can do what you want, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work the next time you try something like this.

Would that be the same as I wrote above in the third part of my equations...

cdubsean said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution

Impulse = (8.832)-(90.078) = -81.246 Which I also found Impulse = -2(Mass)(Velocity)(Sin(8))

but what you wrote down is the same thing but without the negative, since we are talking about momentum of average force which should be positive. So I originally had it to start with, but negative because I was using the ball's x component away from the wall as a negative, but simple fix :)

But thanks for letting me know that I can't add these, I will ask my professor about it and see if he can help explain further.

Related to What is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

1. What is the definition of magnitude of average force?

The magnitude of average force refers to the size or strength of the force applied to an object over a period of time.

2. How is the magnitude of average force calculated?

The magnitude of average force is calculated by dividing the total force applied to an object by the time period over which the force was applied.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnitude of average force?

The unit of measurement for magnitude of average force is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How is magnitude of average force different from instantaneous force?

Magnitude of average force is calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous force is measured at a specific moment in time. Average force takes into account the duration of the force, while instantaneous force does not.

5. Can the magnitude of average force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of average force can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This can happen when the force is causing the object to slow down or change direction.