What Is the Best Material for a Solar Water Heater?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter openbahr@comc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
openbahr@comc
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
I am new to the forums and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a dilemma.

I recently installed an inground pool and I did buy a gas heater. But I really don't wat $600 gas bills. so I am going to try to build a solar water heater.

I was thinking of a basic design, a box with coiled (?) to run water through.

my question to you experts is, what material to use I know copper is good at absorbsion of heat and relese of heat, but is there something better??/

any advice would be appreciated.
mike
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Copper is used because it's a good conductor, not because it's a good absorber (it isn't!). Black paint is a good absorber.

Based on your questions, I suggest you follow plans for this project. There are tons of plans for free and for sale on the web. Start searching "build your own solar pool heater", for instance.