Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best material to use to cut galvanized sheet metal?

1. May 16, 2018 at 2:53 PM #1
    hello every one
    can you help me in selecting the material to be used in the blade of cutting machine which will be used to cut galvanized sheet metal

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018 at 3:32 PM
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Will the blade slice or saw? I'm thinking linear or circular.

Is is a hand tool or a power tool?

Is the cutting continuous or cyclic?

Are you designing a cutting tool, or selecting a tool to buy?

What are your requirements on longevity and maintenance?

The more specific your question, the better quality answer we can give you.

4. May 16, 2018 at 3:15 PM #3
    the tool will be manual now , but in the future will be automatic
    what you mean by continuous or cyclic ?
    i designing the equipment
    about the longevity and maintenance it depends on the cost

5. May 16, 2018 at 3:25 PM #4

anorlunda

I was thinking of a factory where sheet metal comes off a roll. Cutting wheels trim the width continuously, while a cutting bar cycles to cut it to the right length. But if you are cutting by hand, it can never be continuous.

If It will be automated later, then I assume that manual means a hand-held power tool.

6. May 16, 2018 at 3:31 PM #5
    you are right
    first i will design a machine that cut the metal sheet to parts by hand , after i will get a roll of sheet metal and cut it to specific lengths automatically

7. May 16, 2018 at 5:06 PM #6

anorlunda

I see that circular saw blades for cutting metal use carbide coated steel blades.

8. May 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM #7
    what you meant by continuous cutting ?
    Can you tell me will it change it i change the cutting process ?

9. May 16, 2018 at 6:45 PM #8

anorlunda

I meant something like trimming the edges of the sheet as it comes off the roll. One continuous cut from the beginning of the roll to the end.

It sounds like you have many more questions than just the material of the blade. Why don't you begin by describing what you are trying to do? Perhaps the engineers here can give you good advice.

10. May 17, 2018 at 1:41 AM #9
    thanks anorlunda
    you are right i have many more question and i will describe it here to get the right answer but i just wait to order my questions
    thanks again

11. May 17, 2018 at 7:15 AM #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Cutter material selection will depend on the base metal not on the zinc coating.
    Mild steel, brass and copper are usually available galvanised.
    Zinc metal may act as a lubricant between steel and shear cutter material.
    Cutter choice will depend on expected duty and length of cut before sharpening is required.
    Carbon steel is cheap, tool steel is more expensive while cobalt tool steel is needed for stainless steels.
    Carbide inserts might be needed if it is mechanised or used on a production line.
    The problem will be arranging the hinge topology so the parted metal will pass either side of the hinge and handles.

12. May 17, 2018 at 7:50 AM #11
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted