1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best math to take with highschool physics?

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    This year I've taken Algebra II and Chemistry(I'm a sophmore in highschool). Next year I plan on taking physics and either Pre-Cal or Trig. Which math is better to take so that I can really be prepared for the math in physics? Btw do schools allow you to skip precal and go straight to calculus? I'm asking because I've sorta become addicted to math and have learned most topics covered in a precal text ive been studying on my own time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    You have to test out, I'm doing the same thing for Alg II so my sophomore year I will be in Pre-Calc. Basically all you have to do is schedule a meeting with you assigned counselor. He/She will give you a little form to fill out and the class book to take home and study the sections (they give you a list of the sections/material on the test), then you proceed to come back in August (I think), and take the test. My school requires getting an 85% or better on the test ir order to pass. Next year i'm taking Physics and Chemistry along with Pre-Calc as the math course. The reason for this is because many people have recommended that Pre-Calc be taken alongside Physics. Also, the numerous textbooks that I've scammed through state that the required math skills are Alg II, Geometry, and some Pre-Calc, this is assuming that you will be taking the Alg II based Physics class. Which you probably are (unless is the straight AP one, not the Pre-AP), so in that case you won't be required to know all that much Pre-Calc, the basics at most, but if you decide to take the AP course instead of the regular or Pre-AP one then I would highly recommend gaining strong Pre-Calc skills over the summer, testing out, and take AP Calc your Junior year.

Hope this helped!

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lt haha it was actually pretty helpful :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook