Whats the best highschool physics book?

In summary, the book "Physics, Principles with Applications" is a great book, but the accompanying lab book is not worth anything.
TrevorRyan
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard ALOT of good things about this book. I would highly recommend it, but I've also heard that it really isn't math based. Which is good if it's your first physics class in high school (so it's probably based off Alg II). So don't worry about the math portion of physics, but the 2nd physics course you take in high school I would recommend a somewhat based physics book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321568095/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What do you mean by "Highschool Physics"? This could be a range of things.
Anyways:
Halliday/Resnick: "Fundamentals of Physics" is a great book. Probably the best high school physics book in my opinion.

Broccoli21 said:
Halliday/Resnick: "Fundamentals of Physics" is a great book. Probably the best high school physics book in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of god things about that one too. It will probably be one of the two I get.

It looks like Conceptual Physics uses very little mathematics, and Halliday and Resnick uses calculus, so two rather different books. If you know calculus, the latter is excellent. I'm not familiar with any books that don't use calculus, so sorry I can't help there.

I will be taking precalculus along side whatever physics book I use. I don't mind if the textbook has a lot of calculus because I'm kind of a math geek, even though I'm only currently taking algebra II. Thanks again for the replies, the Halliday/Resnick book seems very well structured and has a lot of good reviews.

-Trevor

Halliday Resnick - Fundamentals of Physics is the best I've read. Go with this first for sure.

Feynman lectures on physics(I and II for high school), are quite amazing too. Good to read alongside HR if you have time.

TrevorRyan said:
I will be taking precalculus along side whatever physics book I use. I don't mind if the textbook has a lot of calculus because I'm kind of a math geek, even though I'm only currently taking algebra II.
Even if you are a math geek, I don't think algebra II or precalc is even close to an adequate prerequisite for Halliday/Resnick. You should go with one of the algebra-based textbooks rather than calculus-based ones, then study calc-based physics after (or while) you take calculus. A good book at this level is:

"Physics, Principles with Applications", by Douglas Giancoli

After you finish this, pick up Halliday/Resnick (and the feynman lectures if you want). You'll be much more prepared.

What exactly is supposed to be in a high school physics textbook?
All of these 'all in one' physics textbooks always grated on me, I always preferred separate books.

Edit;
Broccoli21 said:
Even if you are a math geek, I don't think algebra II or precalc is even close to an adequate prerequisite for Halliday/Resnick. You should go with one of the algebra-based textbooks rather than calculus-based ones, then study calc-based physics after (or while) you take calculus. A good book at this level is:.

He could take a week out of physics to learn basic calculus and he'd be good to go.

Knowledge of basic rules of differentiation and integration are quite adequate for most parts of Halliday/Resnick. Also, the first couple chapters don't involve calculus at all, so you can easily learn the basics along with your physics course.

Modern physics, trinklein. This is the book we are currently using in my high school physics class. I'm sure u can find used ones on amazon and it is totally algebra based. I would highly recommend it since it has lots of explanations and practice problems.

FrugalIntelle said:
Modern physics, trinklein. This is the book we are currently using in my high school physics class. I'm sure u can find used ones on amazon and it is totally algebra based. I would highly recommend it since it has lots of explanations and practice problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030743176/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is this the book you're talking about?

Yeah that's it sorry I couldn't post a link before. I'm I'm school right now and I'm usin my phone :/

1. What makes a high school physics book the best?

A high school physics book can be considered the best based on several factors, including its level of clarity and comprehensibility, its relevance to the curriculum, its use of real-world examples and applications, and its ability to engage and challenge students.

2. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for high school physics books?

There are several reputable authors and publishers that produce high quality high school physics books, such as Giancoli, Halliday and Resnick, and Serway and Jewett. It's important to also consider the specific edition of the book, as newer editions may have updated content and improved features.

3. Is it better to use a traditional textbook or an online resource for learning high school physics?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Traditional textbooks offer a structured and comprehensive approach, while online resources provide more flexibility and interactivity. It may be helpful to use a combination of both to fully understand the material.

4. How can I determine the difficulty level of a high school physics book?

The difficulty level of a high school physics book can be determined by looking at the grade level it is intended for, as well as the topics covered and the level of mathematical rigor required. It's also helpful to read reviews and ratings from other students and teachers.

5. Where can I find additional resources to supplement my high school physics textbook?

There are many online resources available to supplement high school physics textbooks, such as educational websites, video tutorials, and practice problems. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources or recommend specific materials to use in conjunction with your textbook.