What is the best place to find job postings in engineering?

In summary: I resigned from my last job.In summary, the best place to find job postings is the IEEE website, and the best way to find information about engineers is to use Indeed.
Moriarty
I sort of want to gauge the level of demand for certain types of engineers. Specifically Nuclear Engineers. And thought I'd look to google for lists of job postings, but they're sort of spread around. I was wondering if there are particularly good places to find job postings, as well as websites that post information such as unemployment data for engineers, or the percentage of engineers who work in their field of engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best place, I think is the IEEE website

http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/join/mga2013mv.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=i%20e%20e%20e&utm_campaign=IEEE+Membership+2014+-+2015+-+Branded

Many companies advertise here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also try hotjobs, monster, dice, nettemps, other job boards. There are many of them.

phinds said:
You could also try hotjobs, monster, dice, nettemps, other job boards. There are many of them.
I find Indeed is the best updated/maintained of the major job sites.

Likes ModusPwnd
Cod said:
I find Indeed is the best updated/maintained of the major job sites.
Interesting. I've been using the job sites for a decade and have never heard of Indeed. I'll have to check it out.

phinds said:
Interesting. I've been using the job sites for a decade and have never heard of Indeed. I'll have to check it out.

Ah ha! I checked it out and I see why I've never heard of it ... it's a site that lists jobs (which IS what the OP is looking for) but you have to apply to each one. I listed boards where you post your resume and thousands of recruiters email you when something suitable (but often not so suitable) comes along. I've gathered the email addresse of some 4,000 recruiters that way and always send out a shotgun email when I'm looking for a new position. I have found that applying directly to job posting is a complete waste of time.

phinds said:
Ah ha! I checked it out and I see why I've never heard of it ... it's a site that lists jobs (which IS what the OP is looking for) but you have to apply to each one. I listed boards where you post your resume and thousands of recruiters email you when something suitable (but often not so suitable) comes along. I've gathered the email addresse of some 4,000 recruiters that way and always send out a shotgun email when I'm looking for a new position. I have found that applying directly to job posting is a complete waste of time.
That's interesting to me, because a friend of mine who just got their MS pretty much ONLY gets interviews by applying. She has problems with recruiters not really contacting her. To her credit, she works for a company doing GIS in her hometown now. Assuming she's an outlier, why do you say it's a waste of time?

Moriarty said:
That's interesting to me, because a friend of mine who just got their MS pretty much ONLY gets interviews by applying. She has problems with recruiters not really contacting her. To her credit, she works for a company doing GIS in her hometown now. Assuming she's an outlier, why do you say it's a waste of time?
It's true for me personally. I can't comment on other's experiences. At one point years ago I was sending out 30 to 50 applications a day and not ONE of them landed me a job but at the same time I got several interviews, and eventually a job, through recruiters.

I vote for Indeed. I have a vague notion that Indeed is owned by Google. Of all of the boards I have used in the past, it seems to be the "broadest net" when casting about the employment ocean for jobs. I'm no longer looking for work, but I use Indeed to monitor the employment landscape. I think it works very well for that.

Monster, CareerBuilder, etc., all have too much advertising for me.

Caution1. NONE of the job boards have ALL of the jobs. To get the full spectrum, one must use multiple boards, perform diligent research and extract the occasional company name from non-job related discussions or news items, then go directly to that companies' site to see if they have openings. THAT is how I discovered that the job boards do not carry all of the openings that are out there.
Caution2: when you post your resume on a board site, you are posting it along with 40,000,000 other people. You are going to get lost in the shuffle. Or get trolled by recruiters.
Caution3: Recruiters for the most part are only interested in stuffing a square peg into a round hole and getting their commission. Disclaimer: I have had rotten luck with almost every recruiter I have encountered in 30+ years. I no longer use them at all.
Caution4: Recruiters are used by employers to move employees out of companies, as well as recruiting. I got an unsolicited call from a recruiter who tried to move me to a local company. At the end of the story, my current company was anticipating a downsizing and trying to get the employees to voluntarily leave "for greener pastures." I didn't bite on the bait, and they wound up paying a substantial severance package to me.

Good luck. It's a devious, harsh world out there.

To be clear I was looking for job listings for the express purpose of gauging the market for different types of engineers. Not to look for a job myself. Monster and indeed don't serve my purpose because they don't offer me numbers to look at or a look at what jobs are typically offered to engineers. I've since gotten the information I needed though, so thanks anyway.

Just for completeness: If you are keen on nuclear, consider moving. China is building 28 new plants right now, and will likely build 28 more after those are finished, and probably 28 more after that. And maybe another 28 after that. All in the next 20 years. So if you speak Mandarin and you would be willing and able to move to the PRC, it's possibly a good option. Many other engineering professions are similarly in demand in China.

In comparison, most western nations are not building nuclear, indeed are closing down and decommissioning nuclear.

Moriarty said:
I sort of want to gauge the level of demand for certain types of engineers. Specifically Nuclear Engineers. And thought I'd look to google for lists of job postings, but they're sort of spread around. I was wondering if there are particularly good places to find job postings, as well as websites that post information such as unemployment data for engineers, or the percentage of engineers who work in their field of engineering.
The American Nuclear Society posts jobs/careers on their website, but one probably has to be a member to access it.
www.ans.org

Engineering societies, ASME, IEEE, etc, are good sources for career development.

Moriarty said:
To be clear I was looking for job listings for the express purpose of gauging the market for different types of engineers. Not to look for a job myself. Monster and indeed don't serve my purpose because they don't offer me numbers to look at or a look at what jobs are typically offered to engineers. I've since gotten the information I needed though, so thanks anyway.

At the one point when I was looking at nuke jobs in college (I'm a ChemE), found that the DoD (Navy) hires continuously. They have their own nuclear school to become a Shift Test Engineer. Pretty impressive and actually, very well paying. Extremely competitive though. Would've gone that route if the oil and gas industry wasn't booming like they are now.

What is the best place to find job postings in engineering?

The best place to find job postings in engineering is on online job search engines such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn. These websites have a wide range of engineering job postings from different companies and locations.

Do engineering companies post job openings on their own websites?

Yes, many engineering companies post job openings on their own websites. It is recommended to check the career section of the company's website to see if there are any job postings that align with your qualifications and interests.

Are there any professional organizations or associations that offer job listings for engineers?

Yes, there are many professional organizations and associations in the engineering field that offer job listings for their members. Examples include the American Society of Civil Engineers, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and Society of Automotive Engineers. These organizations often have job boards on their websites that are specific to engineering jobs.

Can networking help in finding job postings in engineering?

Networking can be an effective way to find job postings in engineering. Attending industry events, conferences, and career fairs can help you meet professionals in the field and learn about job openings. Additionally, reaching out to your personal and professional connections can also lead to job opportunities.

Are there any specialized job search engines for specific engineering fields?

Yes, there are specialized job search engines for specific engineering fields such as Dice for tech jobs, Energy Central for energy-related jobs, and Engineering.com for various engineering disciplines. These websites can be helpful in finding job postings specifically tailored to your field of expertise.