What Jobs are Available in Bioengineering?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter NukeyFox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bioengineering
In summary, as an A-levels student, the speaker is struggling to choose a major after their course. They are currently interested in bioengineering, but want to know more about the field and hear opinions before committing to it. Through research, they have learned that bioengineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines biology, chemistry, and physics. It also has connections to medicine, environmental engineering, bioinformatics, robotics, and biomimicry. However, there is some confusion with biomedical engineering, which the speaker is not particularly fond of due to the emphasis on the medical field. The field also involves programming and research, and there are paid internships available. The speaker has a deep interest in biological systems and zoology, but also enjoys computer
NukeyFox
Hi,

I'm an A-levels student right now, and I have a hard time deciding on my major after my course.
Right now, I have a focus on bioengineering, and my parents support this decision thinking I'll build an Ironman suit and cure cancer.

However, I want to know what is the field is actually like and what opinions you guys have on the topic, before I ruin my life with student debts on an unenjoyable field for a job I won't land.

This is what I think of the course, based on my research Googling:
  • It's a highly interdisciplinary field. It uses the holy trinity of science (bio, chem, phy) in great depths. There's an emphasis on medicine in the field, but there are tinges of environmental engineering, bioinformatics, robotics and biomimicry. Some describe it as 'chemical/electrical engineering but with living things'.
  • It's a general field and I could specialize in any of the mentioned subjects in the previous point.
  • It often gets confused with biomedical engineering. I'm not a big fan of the medical field; I'd prefer the mechanical and the electronic part of it. I won't be complaining if I get to learn both though.
  • You get to learn programming but it's basic; like using the console as your calculator.
  • Some colleges provide paid internship for bioengineering students.
  • It is a more research based field in comparison to other engineering fields.
  • The job prospects are mostly involving the medical field. Honestly, I dread working in a hospital; please tell me there's more options.
  • You don't get to interact with animals. Stay indoors and study stem cells instead. :C
I'm sure a couple of these are misconceptions, so please help me clarify them if you have experience or additional knowledge.

I'm not sure on what skills are required or sought upon for such a field. Please enlighten me on this.

A few things about myself, so you can see from my point of view:
I have a deep interest for biological systems and zoology; it was my favourite subject in high school.
Recently, I developed an interest in computer science and electronics, and that got me wanting to study engineering.
What drew me to bioengineering was these factors alongside the idea that it was a 'synthesis of research and application.'
I do not have any problems with mathematics; in fact, I enjoy it like a puzzle.
During my free time, I like going outdoors or building things. If bioengineering does not allow me to do them, I will seriously reconsider if it's right for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NukeyFox said:
biological systems and zoology; it was my favourite subject in high school.
NukeyFox said:
before I ruin my life with student debts on an unenjoyable field for a job I won't land.
NukeyFox said:
  • Honestly, I dread working in a hospital; please tell me there's more options.
  • You don't get to interact with animals. Stay indoors and study stem cells instead. :C
I've re-arranged a few of the more salient points; sometimes just changing the order in/with which you consider them is more useful than giving advice.

1. What is bioengineering?

Bioengineering is a discipline that combines principles of biology and engineering to solve problems related to living organisms. It involves using engineering techniques to study, design, and develop biological systems and products.

2. What kind of work do bioengineers do?

Bioengineers work on a variety of projects, including developing medical devices, designing new drugs, creating artificial organs, and improving agricultural practices. They also conduct research to understand how living systems work and how they can be manipulated for various purposes.

3. What skills are needed to become a bioengineer?

Bioengineers need a strong foundation in both biology and engineering, as well as skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication. They also need to be able to work well in a team and have a strong interest in applying their knowledge to real-world problems.

4. What are some current applications of bioengineering?

Some current applications of bioengineering include developing prosthetic limbs and organs, creating new drugs and vaccines, improving crop yields, and developing new methods for diagnosing and treating diseases. Bioengineers are also working on solutions for environmental problems, such as pollution and climate change.

5. What kind of education is required to become a bioengineer?

Most bioengineers have at least a bachelor's degree in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field. Some may also have a degree in biology or engineering with a focus on bioengineering. Advanced degrees, such as a master's or Ph.D., may be required for certain positions or for those interested in research or teaching.