1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering How well is the nuclear engineering job market doing?

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    Hello, my name is Samuel. I am a sophomore at Missouri S&T, I just switched my major from physics to Nuclear engineering. I am looking to get my degree in nuclear engineering and then work in the industry for a little bit before going to grad school and working on reactor design. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I do not post much.

My question is though, how well is the nuclear engineering job market right now??

which I'm assuming depends on how well the nuclear industry is doing overall.

I ask this because I'm unsure as I have asked a lot of people about the health of the nuclear industry as a whole and about half and half say something like "the nuclear industry is not particularly thriving but also is not doing horrible" or they flat out say "the nuclear industry is doing bad still because it's still recovering from Fukushima"
    I can't seem to find a good answer

Though I am still told when it comes to the nuclear engineering job market, that is not that hard to find a job because nuclear engineers are in such high demand.

I apologize for such long post.

Thanks, Samuel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

The nuclear industry is moribund with a very uncertain future. Jobs in the industry may be plentiful, but are substitutional jobs only, e.g., replacing those that are retiring out of the system. Nuclear engineers can readily find employment in other, more robust industries, like Homeland Security.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3
    Moribund? Don't let the US situation define the industry.

China to build at least 60 nuclear plants in coming decade -industry official
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/china-nuclear-idUKL8N1BS3VB

Future nuclear supply chain worth billions, report finds
    http://world-nuclear-news.org/NN-Fu...hain-worth-billions-report-finds-1509167.html

Of course, much or most of the work is mechanical, electrical, I&C, civil, etc., and is done by people other than nuclear engineers. But that was just as true 40 years ago as it is now.

Even here in the USA, there are four new units under construction and Watts Bar 2 was just completed (after ~30 years of stasis).

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4

DrSteve

Gold Member

Yes, but the OP would be looking for a job within our moribund nuclear industry, not China's. As a new NE grad I would not consider the US nuclear industry to be the basis of a rewarding and challenging career. It wasn't so when 25 years ago when I was in the industry and things are even bleaker now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted