How well is the nuclear engineering job market doing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of the nuclear engineering job market and the overall health of the nuclear industry. Despite differing opinions, it is generally agreed that the industry is facing challenges and is not as thriving as it once was. However, there is still high demand for nuclear engineers and there are opportunities for employment, particularly in other industries. The conversation also mentions the growth of the nuclear industry in other countries, such as China.
MRrelativity
Hello, my name is Samuel. I am a sophomore at Missouri S&T, I just switched my major from physics to Nuclear engineering. I am looking to get my degree in nuclear engineering and then work in the industry for a little bit before going to grad school and working on reactor design. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I do not post much.

My question is though, how well is the nuclear engineering job market right now??

which I'm assuming depends on how well the nuclear industry is doing overall.

I ask this because I'm unsure as I have asked a lot of people about the health of the nuclear industry as a whole and about half and half say something like "the nuclear industry is not particularly thriving but also is not doing horrible" or they flat out say "the nuclear industry is doing bad still because it's still recovering from Fukushima"
I can't seem to find a good answer

Though I am still told when it comes to the nuclear engineering job market, that is not that hard to find a job because nuclear engineers are in such high demand.

I apologize for such long post.

Thanks, Samuel

Physics news on Phys.org
The nuclear industry is moribund with a very uncertain future. Jobs in the industry may be plentiful, but are substitutional jobs only, e.g., replacing those that are retiring out of the system. Nuclear engineers can readily find employment in other, more robust industries, like Homeland Security.

Moribund? Don't let the US situation define the industry.

China to build at least 60 nuclear plants in coming decade -industry official
http://uk.reuters.com/article/china-nuclear-idUKL8N1BS3VB

Future nuclear supply chain worth billions, report finds
http://world-nuclear-news.org/NN-Fu...hain-worth-billions-report-finds-1509167.html

Of course, much or most of the work is mechanical, electrical, I&C, civil, etc., and is done by people other than nuclear engineers. But that was just as true 40 years ago as it is now.

Even here in the USA, there are four new units under construction and Watts Bar 2 was just completed (after ~30 years of stasis).

Yes, but the OP would be looking for a job within our moribund nuclear industry, not China's. As a new NE grad I would not consider the US nuclear industry to be the basis of a rewarding and challenging career. It wasn't so when 25 years ago when I was in the industry and things are even bleaker now.

What is the current demand for nuclear engineers?

The demand for nuclear engineers varies depending on the specific industry and region. However, overall, there is a steady demand for nuclear engineers in fields such as power generation, research and development, and national security.

Are there job opportunities for nuclear engineers in the future?

The job outlook for nuclear engineers is expected to be stable in the future. While there may be some fluctuations in demand, advancements in technology and the need for clean energy sources are likely to create job opportunities for nuclear engineers.

What qualifications are needed to become a nuclear engineer?

To become a nuclear engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Many employers also require a license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

What industries employ nuclear engineers?

Nuclear engineers can work in a variety of industries, including power generation, government and military, research and development, and medical and health services. They may also work in consulting firms or for regulatory agencies.

What is the average salary for nuclear engineers?

The average salary for nuclear engineers can vary depending on experience, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for nuclear engineers was $116,140 in May 2020.