What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 586K views
Physics news on Phys.org
The oldest PF on PFs Best Songs Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA73k88NU-s
 
I'm being teased at the moment, with this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUbTW928sMU​
 
top comment on youtube for this one:

first 4 minutes and 10 ****ing seconds makes me feel like sitting on a mighty prog-metal unicorn, riding trough a complex, heavy forest of emotions and and some yet undiscovered feelings while shooting lasers, eating magic super chalupas, folding space-time continuum and consuming quagma datum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO61NWKkyWQ
 
Pretty crappy quality, but I love this version - the guitar sound is gritty and sooo nice, it's earcandy for me :-p. I know I have heard better versions of this, so if anyone knows any better link, please let me know :smile:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ejJWobBXQ
 
Speaking of gritty guitars, this clip is pure earcandy to my rock'n'roll ears. Prince has done good songs, Lenny Kravitz too. But there can only be one Jimi :wink:. It's probably also one of my favorite song intros ever - it's unforgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou5eEY-RTF0
 
Is this the original video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMV-fenGP1g

This seems too contemporary.

Though, I thought that the other day, when I listened to Joni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xPxNMrj1g

I had judged that song, 20+ years ago, as being too much of a period piece.

I think I was wrong. :frown:
 
Oh, Billy Idol! :smile: Nice to hear him again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZMTI
 
A little trivia (from Don't You (Forget About Me)-Wikipedia):
"Forsey asked Cy Curnin from The Fixx, Bryan Ferry and Billy Idol to record the song, but all three declined; Idol would later perform a cover of it on his 2001 greatest hits compilation."

Billy doing "Don't You":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5l1ucHgYk

Simple Minds doing "Don't You" (1985):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
 
and now for something completely different.
A cover of Elliot Smith's "Between the Bars":

 
Last edited by a moderator:
OMFG, i love " don't you forget about me " , one of my favorite 80's song.
funny thing is, i had no clue billy idol sang that.
 
krash661 said:
OMFG, i love " don't you forget about me " , one of my favorite 80's song.
Same here. :smile:

krash661 said:
funny thing is, i had no clue billy idol sang that.
I don't think it's well known. I don't remember where I picked that up. :confused:
 
And speaking of the 80s, new wave, new romantics, post-punk or whatever it was called, it would be a crime if I did not post The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary". So I do that :wink:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8mWG6HlmU
 
Going down the 80s memory lane, I could not resist posting the wonderfully surreal video of New Order's "Blue Monday '88":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9mfgUsIis
 
oh my, dennis,
yes another good song.
got me stuck on 80's musics today :)
 
krash661 said:
oh my, dennis,
yes another good song.
got me stuck on 80's musics today :)

:biggrin: You started it with Billy Idol, haha!
 
RUSH: YYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XsYuHbXZUk

Claims to be 11 years old. I think it went over the audience's heads.
 
Last edited:
I love this song lately, nice acoustic jam, great harmony. It's by a band called Wooden Sky, titled "Oslo". This is a cover by some kid and he done good.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a lot more pop-ish than I usually like, but I still like it! She's very young, only 16, but her voice is deep like an older woman's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc
 
Elvis Presley recorded "Heartbreak Hotel" along with a number of other tracks that catapulted him to superstardom in 1956. Rock N Roll had been around for some time, but did not dominate the charts until Elvis burst on the scene that year. This song actually sounds kind of sedate to my ears, but, together with "Blue Suede Shoes", "Jailhouse Rock" and other singles released later, it created quite a sensation that year. The studio band here included Chet Atkins (guitar) and Floyd Cramer (piano).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotB76gi2_4
 
Last edited:
Today would have been Amy Winehouse's 30th birthday. Her death at age 27 (almost 28) was not unanticipated. An already fragile person, the intensity of the life she fell into helped send her into a very public downward spiral. She considered herself a niche player, appealing to a segment that liked her unusual mixed bag of jazz/ motown /r&b/ Latin oriented music. She always said 'I'm just a musician'. She did what she liked and if you liked it, fine. If not, that's OK too. She tried to cling to her unfettered way of life in the face of the massive publicity her second album engendered. She continued to live in her ground floor apartment facing a Camden (London) street and walk to her favorite local haunts for as long as she could (she didn't drive). She never really understood she was now internationally famous and winced at the praise lavished on her. She actually was more comfortable being ignored and even scorned. As for scorn, she generously lavished it on herself as in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymXHKoQndQ
 
Last edited:
this song is mislabelled (Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz is unplayable) but I like it. Apparently the actual song here was written and performed by a game creator that allegedly coded/wrote/performed every aspect the game himself (music, graphics, mechanics, etc)

 
Last edited by a moderator: