What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
I'd almost forgotten this one: Crash Test Dummies, "MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM".

The live version below is a little different (and better, imho) than the usual one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the words of one commenter:

Antonio Ávila Escobedo said:
No fancy lightting effects
No dancers
No choirs
No special effects.
Just a guitar and (real) talent.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that the band Sound Cage ever made a full version of Higher (or Higher Ground?), so all there is this version for a car commercial. I've read somewhere that it was also used in the movie Jumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOm8bCFBvo
 
Last edited:
rcgldr said:
I don't think that the band Sound Cage ever made a full version of Higher (or Higher Ground?), so all there is this version for a car commercial. I've read somewhere that it was also used in the movie Jumper.

How do you follow a car ad? With some bluegrass of course! The Earl Scruggs Band with Steve Martin playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Saturns were made in Tennessee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw
 
Last edited:
This kind of music requires good musicianship. Chet Atkins is one of the top guitarists of all time.
 
So with this sub-thread of acoustical guitarists, a few more:



Kevin Eubanks played this on his last night on the Tonight Show:



As for Foggy Mountain Breakdown, not the best version, but unexpected from the Stray Cats:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
rcgldr said:
So with this sub-thread of acoustical guitarists, a few more:

As for Foggy Mountain Breakdown, not the best version, but unexpected from the Stray Cats:



I agree. In fact it's not a breakdown the way it's played here. A breakdown starts with a chord progression which is then "broken down" into a series of individual solo improvisations based on that chord progression. While one band member solos, the others continue to provide back up. Having said that, the solo wasn't bad imo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why I worry about the future, and not myself. Does PF have any Behavioral Neuroscientist experts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpq1kw3MXcE​
 
Why do senile old people, always play old music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

hmmm...

I think I used to know me.
 
rcgldr said:
So with this sub-thread of acoustical guitarists ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZp76M4NGc
 
Last edited:
Love the late 60's, but this will last forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg​
 
Louis Armstrong - Swingin on Nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHI2V1nmoQ

Andrew Sisters - Bounce Me Brother With A Solid Four. This is from a movie, but this video has better sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmFvThXCRvg
 
Duke Ellington's 'Sophisticated Lady" with baritone saxist Harry Carney playing what might be the longest note ever played . see EDIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brqxEdwsTQs

EDIT: It seems a technique called "circular breathing" allows musicians to hold notes on wind instruments for very long periods of time. The current Guinness Book of Records (according to Wikipedia) lists Vann Burchfield as holding the record at 47 min 6 sec (2000). That's long past the point where it ceases to be music IMO. I don't know what the record was when this performance was recorded in Copenhagen in 1965. I doubt many musicians would go much longer than Mr Carney does here in a live performance before an audience, assuming the patrons came to hear music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_breathing
 
Last edited:
Since it's close to halloween

Kay Starr - Headless Horseman (1948):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ofFYxmvyY

Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party (1985) - clips from Back to School:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg
 
Last edited:
Even though I mostly like UK/foreign music, we have/have had some good artists here in Sweden (not only Abba! :biggrin:). Here are some of my favorites:

Kent - Music Non Stop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FEEENz-Us

Lisa Miskovsky - Lady Stardust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD-x9M1ZN8U

Robyn - Be Mine (Live) - one of the best Swedish singers ever - original fast version is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2yeL7HpG8

The Knife - Heartbeats (Live) - original here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjwqXwyzNU

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Instant Repeater '99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sufN4TeUGA

The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGtBZX32I0

Veronica Maggio - Välkommen in (Lyrics + English Translation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCY2_ZX6QM

and I finish with a very unknown band who only released one album (one of the best Swedish albums ever IMO). Poor clip quality (sorry), but an excellent song:

Selfish - Lonesome Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfFMQxzmRVw
 
DennisN said:
Even though I mostly like UK/foreign music, we have/have had some good artists here in Sweden (not only Abba! :biggrin:). Here are some of my favorites:

Kent - Music Non Stop

Lisa Miskovsky - Lady Stardust

Robyn - Be Mine (Live)

The Knife - Heartbeats (Live) -
Instant Repeater '99

The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk


Veronica Maggio - Välkommen in (Lyrics + English Translation)


Selfish - Lonesome Road

Kent? Miskovsky? Maggio? I wouldn't know any of them were Swedish. Where are the Johanssons and Svenssons?
 
SW VandeCarr said:
Kent? Miskovsky? Maggio? I wouldn't know any of them were Swedish. Where are the Johanssons and Svenssons?
:biggrin: Kent=Swedish/Finnish, Miskovsky=Swedish/Finnish/Czech, Maggio=Swedish/Italian. I don't remember any good Johanssons and Svenssons in music at the moment, haha.
 
Great Swedish music. Have liked The Hives for some time.
What about Caesars? And about the Young Folks song?
 
Last edited:
DennisN said:
We have/have had some good artists here in Sweden.
Well they needed to make up for this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnGPIMUnus
 
We seemed to have strayed from "Best Songs Ever". Do the posters really believe all these are songs worthy of that level of praise? Beginning to feel a lot like "Music I like Today". Just sayin'.
 
meBigGuy said:
We seemed to have strayed from "Best Songs Ever". Do the posters really believe all these are songs worthy of that level of praise? Beginning to feel a lot like "Music I like Today". Just sayin'.

Well, to date some 3150 posts suggests about the same number of various opinions of "best songs" assuming duplicates roughly cancel out multiple song posts. Obviously it's a matter of opinion and taste. Some, like the last video, are counter-examples. I've posted some counter-examples of over rated (IMO) artists. It's just a fun thread. I've found some good stuff that I've never heard before, so I have no problem if the idea of "best songs" may be stretched a bit.
 
SW VandeCarr said:
I've found some good stuff that I've never heard before, so I have no problem if the idea of "best songs" may be stretched a bit.
Exactly. I appreciate quality and talent in music and not "type/style". I'm getting an education here.