What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
A recent mention of the old movie "Silent Running" made me think of its classic theme "Rejoice in the Sun" by Joan Baez:

NkF05D-NJMU[/youtube] It hypnoti...trange representation, didn't you.) :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My father liked the big band jazz of the 30's and 40s. I didn't, but when I was 9 or 10 he played the classic record "Sing Sing Sing" for me. I was mesmerized by Gene Krupa's drum beat. This You Tube version is shorter than the original version recorded in 1937, but it was re-recorded a number of times by the Benny Goodman orchestra. I still generally don't like the big band music of the 30s and 40s, but I do like this piece. The intro sounds a bit dated, but keep listening. It develops in an interesting way over Krupa's steady beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2S1I_ien6A
 
Last edited:
Love that Simon & Garfunkel song! Although every time I see one of these guys -

http://www.dogbehavioronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Boxer-300x225.jpg

I instinctively sing in my head, in the clearing stands a boxer...

...then I giggle for about 90 seconds. Yep I'm a dork.
 
tionis said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xusrTOxoASw

Awesome. I don't even need a translation to appreciate it. :thumbs:
 


Polish folk. Stylized and rather modern, but with an interesting hint of the original sound.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, I never quite understood the lyrics of this Beatles song. Now that I found this video which spells them out, I understand them perfectly.

Come Together. (BTW, if you don't add text for the title and artist/band, it can't be searched.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfI4111pc0s
 
Trivia about the album cover. Crosby, Stills, and Nash found this old house with the couch in front in Santa Monica, later realized that Crosby and Nash were on opposite sides from the album title, but when they went back to retake the photo, that house was gone, so they used the original photo. These days, they probably could have photoshopped it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUqplxIcNk
 
SW VandeCarr said:
I have to admit, I never quite understood the lyrics of this Beatles song. Now that I found this video which spells them out, I understand them perfectly.

Come Together. (BTW, if you don't add text for the title and artist/band, it can't be searched.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfI4111pc0s

hmmmm... Like you, I never really payed attention to the lyrics. (I had to watch/read it twice, and google a few terms: "walrus gumboot"?)

I think it can be interpreted, in, uh, hmm, different ways.

"boot" is a Canadian word, isn't it?

As in; "What's this all aboot"?

Thank you South West. I needed a good laugh. :wink:

-------------------------
ps. can't figure out the "armchair"... perhaps it's a British thing. Does anyone know how to get ahold of Woolie? ee's old enough to know these things.
hmmmm...
Never mind. I figured out the arm chair.
 
OmCheeto said:
hmmmm... Like you, I never really payed attention to the lyrics. (I had to watch/read it twice, and google a few terms: "walrus gumboot"?)

I think it can be interpreted, in, uh, hmm, different ways.

"boot" is a Canadian word, isn't it?

As in; "What's this all aboot"?

Yes. "Gumboot" means "about gum". The inversion is due to the French influence on Canadian.

Thank you South West. I needed a good laugh. :wink:

You're welcome. I wish I could share my insights aboot this song, but it's just too complex for me to express.
 
Last edited:
Isn't Hotmail (the email service) named after the same kind of lyrical babble from "Happiness is a warm gun"
 
Not sure why I still like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mE2aIUnevI​

Someone once gave me a stare one day at work, when I filled my fountain drink with ice, soda water, two flavors of tea, lemonade, lemon-lime soda, and a spritz of Pepsi.

I gave him the stare back, and said; "I like my sodas, like my wine*: complex"

I suppose it's the same with my music.

*I don't drink wine, but I've heard that's how the wine-nerds describe things.
 
Last edited:
While we're clearing up misheard lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8
 
dkotschessaa said:
While we're clearing up misheard lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8

:bugeye:

I did not know that.

I wonder what the following people are singing about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg​
 
lisab said:
This is a lot more pop-ish than I usually like, but I still like it! She's very young, only 16, but her voice is deep like an older woman's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc

I like that one, great voice, great singing! And good song too, I think. And I found a semi-live version of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7T64Qo3bdU
 
DennisN said:
I like that one, great voice, great singing! And good song too, I think. And I found a semi-live version of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7T64Qo3bdU

I heard this song on the radio the day after Lisab posted it, on my way to work.

I felt very privileged, to have been given a preview.

ps. Did I share that someone at work slammed the radio off, when I said I'd never understood the words to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song, Scar Tissue, and kept going "Whip, werp, derp, derp, derp, doooo, dooo, and... dooooooooooo"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGObF2q63Ew

dkotschessaa might understand.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg



From a few years back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg



From a few years back.


I remember the movie, but not this song.

Oh wait. It's coming back...

hmmm...

IIIIII'mmmmmmm having flashbacks...

Today was a strange day, indeed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0di2IL440

Odd that he only lived to be 40.

We need to reintroduce "movie night" back to PF. Bagdad Cafe, rocked. :smile:

and Jack was in both!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
I remember the movie, but not this song.

Funny, I don't remember the movie but I remember the song! And not just remember it. It plays in my head at random times maybe a couple times a month. Just one of those 'stick with ya' songs.

Now about the movie...I remember I really liked it. Looks like I have to do some searching...
 
lisab said:
Funny, I don't remember the movie but I remember the song! And not just remember it. It plays in my head at random times maybe a couple times a month. Just one of those 'stick with ya' songs.

Now about the movie...I remember I really liked it. Looks like I have to do some searching...

I also remember very little about the movie.

All I can remember was that it was an exceptional movie.

hmm... until springtime... hibernate safely. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc
 
The mention of Tim Minchin in a recent thread made me think of these other "awesome" Australian musical comedians. Since the "4 chords" feature in so many hit songs, I figure the following belongs in this thread:

Axis of Awesome, "4 Chord Song".

I've seen the guy in the middle (Jordan Raskopoulos) in other things. He's an underrated comic genius.
 
Last edited by a moderator: