What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Jimmy Page's 20 Greatest Led Zeppelin Studio Solos


You'll just have to go out and buy the albums.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And now for something completely different. Jethro Tull had a unique sound. I saw them several times during the mid and late 1970's.


Jethro Tull - A New Day Yesterday - Fillmore East 1969


Jethro Tull - Life's A Long Song, 1971


Jethro Tull - With You There To Help Me


Jethro Tull - Song For Jeffrey


Jethro Tull: To Cry You a Song/A New Day Yesterday (07/31/1976?)


Jethro Tull - Teacher


Jethro Tull - Boureé


Jethro Tull - Requiem


Jethro Tull - The Rover



Jethro Tull: Living in the Past (3/10/1985)



Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Live)


Jethro Tull: Locomotive Breath (02/10/1977)


Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (07/31/1976)


Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick - Part 1 (02/10/1977)



Jethro Tull The Whistler


Jethro Tull - Cold Wind to Valhalla


Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery (with interview auf Deutsch)

with Ian Anderson's perspective on rock & roll

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (07/31/1976) live - full version


Jethro Tull - One White Duck



Jethro Tull: Songs from the Wood (02/10/1977)


Jethro Tull: Velvet Green (02/10/1977)


Jethro Tull: Hunting Girl (02/10/1977)


Jethro Tull: Jack in the Green (02/10/1977)



Jethro Tull: Broadsword (March 1982)



Jethro Tull: Instumental (Guitar & Drum solo) (07/31/1976)


Jethro Tull: Beethoven's Ninth (07/31/1976)


Jethro Tull: Bach's Double Violin Concerto


Jethro Tull: Elegy (3/10/1985)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
And now for something completely different. Jethro Tull had a unique sound. I saw them several times during the mid and late 1970's.
I've been listening to Tull all day yesterday - 'twas sparked by Radou's comment in the other thread and I realized how long it's been since I've listened to any Tull.
 
Diana Damrau as Queen of the Night in "Der Holle Rache"
Great scenic performance as well:


As a comparison, here's Florence Foster Jenkins doing her performance:

:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:
I saw a link to the tune "Ojo" (which I like better than VMG), and OUCH, it's some teenager from God-knows-where!

One should NOT be allowed to attempt this in public.

I am only 12 so I haven't got any idea what most of the songs are that you are all mentioning but I wanted to say that the little baby in the picture is soooo sweet. I have this thing about babies. They are so cute.
About the music topic though,if you are talking about songs of today I think that Kate Nash has a sweet voice. I love her song 'Foundations'.
 
arildno said:
Diana Damrau as Queen of the Night in "Der Holle Rache"
Great scenic performance as well:


As a comparison, here's Florence Foster Jenkins doing her performance:

:smile:


Both wonderful in their own way!

Some antipodeans-
Only seen one episode, but I like this ‘Flight of the Conchords’ show so far.



An old favourite, The Saints.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I was 10 I got an AM radio for Christmas and I would fall asleep listening to it every night. Soon after sunset, the big transmitters in Albany and Buffalo would crank up. Albany featured lots of rock and roll, but Buffalo was heavy into Mo-Town, and I loved that sound. Here's one of my favorites. Jackie Wilson's signature song "Lonely Teardrops" was in heavy rotation through the early '60's and beyond. (No video with this one)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Always a pleasure to see Enya:





and Sarah




Most beautiful clip ever:



Best song:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, they might have been singing one of the best songs ever, but this still was one of the low points in musical history - David Bowie and Marianne Faithfull. I have no idea what the wardrobe folks were thinking.



She actually sings a lot better songs -

Ballad of Lucy Jordan -

Broken English -

Sister Morphine -

Working Class Hero -
 
Last edited by a moderator:
natia said:
can't find the link, but note - "Sleeping Sun" by "Nightwish"

:!)- awesome I love Nightwish! They will be in SF Nov.2nd I have Tickets! It has been tough adjusting to Anette over the beloved Tarja but here's a link to one of the songs I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQ9YV9v9Yg

Tool is my all time favorite-(Warning: Hard stuff)
"stinkfist"


and just incase that didnt disturb you enough here is anotherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hii17sjSwfA
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The real voice. Ivan Rebroff

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep May Safely Graze (Schafe können sicher weiden)

One of the most beautiful pieces of classical music
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
Performed by Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Conducted by Neville Marriner

Sheep may safely graze - B A C (Boys Air Choir)

Outstanding images in the video

Harp - Katrina plays Sheep May Safely Graze - I love the harp



Another favorite piece of classical music

Rachmaninoff 's vocalise played here by Itzhak Perlman
 
Last edited by a moderator:


she is great and what a smile!

great recorded concert


oh, my...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Best song:

I like that. I just wish she had more dissonance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to everyones taste, but some french drum and bass accompanied by powerful visionary art on youtube. This sort of music has a powerful effect on me, similar to african drumming because of its very fast tempo. The art is amazing too, read the users description about the endogenous psychadelic DMT causing dreams and causing the pictures in the video, very interesting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thrice said:
I like that. I just wish she had more dissonance.

Dunno. I think she has the purest voice of all performers, with incredible clean transitions from mezzo to high soprano.

Anyway, an oldy: Roger Whittaker



Our local Belgian star: Helmut Lotti with 'Poljushko Polje'



And Il Divo should be more productive (I believe, with Celine dion):



Todays classic: Finlandia

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Flower time.

Flower Duet from Lakme



And from Holland, Andre Rieu

 
Last edited by a moderator:
The ~12 year old Bianca Ryan does a fantastic job with "O Holy Night"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Phantom of the Opera with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford


Angel of Music


Music of the Night
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also, from one of my favorite movies - All That Jazz:
Take Off With Us


whew!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
'Deliverance' - 'Dueling banjos' scene
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Soldier of orange



A movie about a Dutch resistance fighter during WW-II. The theme song is composed by Rogier van Otterloo. You can judge his quality. Unfortunately he died young due to cancer.

Give up smoking.

Forget the cognac, the music is the tune of a TV series, "De Fabriek", the mill.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Those were the days


Jean
http://solosong.net/jean.html

A lesser known favorite of mine from Elton:
The Ballad of Danny Bailey


and Sweet Painted Lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0eckgVx0Es&NR=1

Coven - One Tin Soldier


Angie Baby


The Dock of the Bay


Abraham Martin & John


Mr Bojangles


The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down [by Joan Baez - allegedly the cousin of John Baez]


My Eyes Adored You [apparently provided by someone with a crush on Kate Mulgrew]


Brand New Key


Song Sung Blue


Wildfire


From soundtrack of Metropolis [Done by Georgio Moroder]
Here's my heart


Here she comes
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lovely piece, Shostakovich
 
Last edited by a moderator: