What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
In 1976, Relf was electrocuted by an impropertly grounded electric guitar! That still puzzles me, since I've been electrocuted several times, and I'm still around. :frown:
The route of the current is critical. It doesn't take much current to stop your heart when you're getting the shock hand-to-hand, and a guitarist touching grounded strings on a guitar and reaching to reposition a mic is in a nasty situation. (Been there!)

I wrote the medical standards portion of an electrical safety training program that General Physics presented to DuPont's electrical supervisors, and presented the entire program in a week-long session in Tampa. It's been a lot of years, but IIR, the hand-to-hand jolt that can stop your heart was on the order of maybe 12-20 milliamps. Not a lot of current, but if it has to traverse your chest, it's enough.

"No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man."
 
turbo-1 said:
The route of the current is critical. It doesn't take much current to stop your heart when you're getting the shock hand-to-hand, and a guitarist touching grounded strings on a guitar and reaching to reposition a mic is in a nasty situation. (Been there!)

I wrote the medical standards portion of an electrical safety training program that General Physics presented to DuPont's electrical supervisors, and presented the entire program in a week-long session in Tampa. It's been a lot of years, but IIR, the hand-to-hand jolt that can stop your heart was on the order of maybe 12-20 milliamps. Not a lot of current, but if it has to traverse your chest, it's enough.

"No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man."
Well, if Relf had the guitar in hand and was sitting on something metal or perhaps had strings or metal in one hand and was ground through the other hand - perhaps I guess.

I give grounded through one hand and through my feet. Once on a running lawn mower and the other time on a car engine. Both times, I removed the spark plug cable with the motors going - and I got blasted. OUCH! But the current/voltage was a brief pulse.

The worst event was where I grounded a 440 V motor (seveal kW) - and probably got at least 10 amps. There was a bright blue-white flash, a loud bang (like lightning), I blacked out momentarily and came too leaning backward against the wall behind where I had been working on the motor. Didn't help that I had been squatting in a puddle of condensate while working on the motor, which supposedly had been isolated. I think my partner had selected the wrong switch. :rolleyes:

I was rather weak from that and barely managed to walk up a flight of stairs to where I could be transported the shop office. I rested for a while and drove home. It took several days for the smell of singed tissue to wear off, and for me to regain full strength.

I just realized that event was back in 1976, a few months after Relf died.
 
The voltage is key, here, too. Low voltages channel through human tissue effectively, while higher voltages tend to self-repel and to propagate along outer surfaces (skin effect).
 
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Neil Diamond held onto the secret for decades, but he has finally revealed that President Kennedy's daughter was the inspiration for his smash hit "Sweet Caroline."

"I've never discussed it with anybody before — intentionally," the 66-year-old singer-songwriter told The Associated Press on Monday during a break from recording. "I thought maybe I would tell it to Caroline when I met her someday."

He got his chance last week when he performed the song via satellite at Caroline Kennedy's 50th birthday party. [continued]
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iImzT2JPyXzkkHcKCIP6bpuei9sQD8T1GVH01

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard this line from a song and really liked it:

"In my dreams you're blowing me...









...some kisses."
 
Gokul43201 said:
Did you like the way it began or the way it ended?

:smile: That depends on how you look at it!
 
Battle of Evermore is a great song, great lyrics, great vocals. Sandy Denny did an excellent job on backup vocals.


Hahaha, I might not know anything like you guys about calculus or physics or whatever, but I'd bet I know more about Led Zeppelin. I love Zeppelin though.

Best songs?...hmmm, I'd say All My Love, by Zeppelin great vocals, great bass/keyboards, great song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMlrGXB5c

Tales of Brave Ulysses, Cream... Love that song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8hLc_nqx8g

A classic is Ramblin' Man, by the Allman Brothers Band
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Bodp4M0ymA

And my two favorite Clapton songs, Layla sorry its live
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-j-pf5LykQ

And Wonderful tonight
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gi24BdDZCJk

Yep those are all classics
 
Another one is Knockin' On Heavens door by Bob Dylan. Thats a classic, don't have a link though...And its better than all the covers, even Eric Claptons.

Billy Joel Piano Man, and We Didnt Start the Fire, Downeaster Alexa (Is that how its spelled?), and Captain Jack and the Entertainer are all great songs as well. Shes Always a Woman to Me and Leningrad are also great ones.

And I am sure somebody has already mentioned...but Led Zeppelin stairway to heaven is of course a classic, and I DO have a link for that one, haha
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CFC0zfrJxR8

And Train Kepta Rollin by the Yardbirds..

I could go on and on and on. Best if I stop I guess, haha.
 
Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt - Salty Dog Blues
Tony Rice Unit - Midnight on the Stormy Deep
 
Smokestack Lightnin' by Howlin' Wolf and also the Yardbirds did a good version of it as well
 
The_Z_Factor said:
Smokestack Lightnin' by Howlin' Wolf and also the Yardbirds did a good version of it as well
I love the Yardbirds's version, but it's not on Youtube.

Aerosmith's version of Train Kept A Rollin' is great!
(Studio version - Ignore the video images if you not a railfan :biggrin:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt - Salty Dog Blues
Tony Rice Unit - Midnight on the Stormy Deep
A lot of Tony's stuff is killer! At times, he has collaborated with some of the best in the business.
 
Very nice classical guitar

ARANJUEZ 1mov, Joaquin Rodrigo.Guitar:Jose C.Puertas


RODRIGO, Aranjuez 2mov (1/2). Guitar:Jose C.Puertas


RODRIGO, Aranjuez, 3º mov. Guitar: Jose C.Puertas
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Annie Lennox has an incredible voice. She does a nice job with Neil Young's

Don't let it bring you down
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jasperina de Jong, Dutch stand up comediene and actress with a technically extremely difficult representation of the Minute walz of Chopin with very funny lyrics (if you understand Dutch of course).

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nominating for the title of the thread

"Vanmorgen vloog ze nog" (this morning she was still flying) of prominent Dutch singer Robert Long who died last year

Lyrix

the other performers are Simone Kleinsma, Robert Paul and Martine Bijl
 
A search did not indicate anyone else has posted Donna Summer.
Hope some of you enjoy this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Satriani "Flying in a blue dream"

...my favorite highway-driving song.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Huckleberry said:
This one has been growing on me lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUSIJEiOug"by Alicia Keys.

Again, I like the breathy female voice. I kinda wish the horns weren't synthesized. I'd like to hear this with an orchestra.

Funny you should say that. I hate the song, and the only part of it I like are the overly synthesized parts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with J77
Pretty much any Nirvana song.
Glycerine by Bush has an awesome guitar intro
Terra Firma-The Young Knives its just good
SO MANY others.
Oh, Apocalyptica play metal on cellos! Its badass
 
Last edited:
Another vintage memory. I never forget hearing it the first time, when the alarm went off at 6AM for a hard days work some 20 years ago. This is what the alarm-radio produced that day:

And the birds were singing
 
Huckleberry said:
This one has been growing on me lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUSIJEiOug"by Alicia Keys.

Again, I like the breathy female voice. I kinda wish the horns weren't synthesized. I'd like to hear this with an orchestra.

moose said:
Funny you should say that. I hate the song, and the only part of it I like are the overly synthesized parts.

The song is okay, but the synthesized horns and percussion are a disaster!
 
Last edited by a moderator: