What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the first supergroups, Lennon, Clapton, Richards, and Mitchell (drummer for Hendrix), in a one-time-only live performance of Lennon's Yer Blues.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
A true classic!

Nat & Natalie Cole "Unforgettable"


Listen to this and think about your sweetheart or someone special!


Unforgettable, that's what you are
Unforgettable though near or far
Like a song of love that clings to me
How the thought of you does things to me
Never before has someone been more

Unforgettable in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
That someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am unforgettable too

<instrumental interlude>
No never before
has someone been more ooh

<Repeat>Unforgettable in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
That someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am unforgettable too
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to this song and tell me it does not have the greatest guitar playing you have ever heard. The main rift starts after a pause following the very beginning of the song.

Slither by Velvet Revolver

Youtube link pending (I can't make lots of noise right now so I'll get it later).
 
Hey, Jeans! If you haven't watched the movie Crossroads, you're in for a treat. Here is (SPOILER!) a guitar show-down between the protagonist and a guitar-slinging protege of the devil. Stevie Vai plays his own stuff, but of course Ralph Macchio's licks were laid down by a pro - Ry Cooder. If you haven't seen the movie yet, go out and rent it before you click this link. This clip is WAY too much of a spoiler, and you wouldn't enjoy the move as much after having seen it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Hey, Jeans! If you haven't watched the movie Crossroads, you're in for a treat. Here is (SPOILER!) a guitar show-down between the protagonist and a guitar-slinging protege of the devil. Stevie Vai plays his own stuff, but of course Ralph Macchio's licks were laid down by a pro - Ry Cooder. If you haven't seen the movie yet, go out and rent it before you click this link. This clip is WAY too much of a spoiler, and you wouldn't enjoy the move as much after having seen it.



Cool! Thanks for the link.

I'll have a link for Slither in about an hour and a half.

I really should rent that movie :biggrin:.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I found a great link for Slither.

The main guitar rift is in my opinion the best part, but I also love the main lyrics.

The rift is first used 26 seconds into the song. The main lyrics is first used 1 minute 8 seconds into the song.

"Yeaaahhhhh! Here comes the waaaateerr!"

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ur43BHsnW4"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've recently been quite obsessed by the song in the Audi R8 advert which is by Simone White. I have listened to the few tracks on her MySpace page and must admit I was very impressed. I'm not easily impressed since I have very precise tastes. Anyway here is the said song from the Audi R8 commercial:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aB36GAPcfvc

If you enjoy that one check out the others on her http://www.myspace.com/simonewhite" .

P.S. Audi R8 is lovely :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big Elton fan. To me, about half of his stuff qualifies as classic, but some of my favorites are:
Your Song


Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding


Daniel


Candle in the Wind


Goodbye yellow brick road


Levon [one of the best of the best, IMO]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best anti-war songs ever. Jackson Browne performing "Lives in the Balance" with David Lindley, Graham Nash, and David Crosby. Lindley often wears impossibly loud polyester shirts and bright-colored pants - he is quite conservative in this clip. :rolleyes:



Studio version with nice Andean flute in the mix and a slide-show.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
I'm a big Elton fan. To me, about half of his stuff qualifies as classic, but some of my favorites are:
Your Song


Funeral For a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding


Daniel


Candle in the Wind


Goodbye yellow brick road


Levon [one of the best of the best, IMO]


Levon is one of my all-time most favorite song!

Zz.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Levon is one of my all-time most favorite song!

Zz.

Tsu too! When this came out, for the longest time I didn't realize that it was done by Elton; nor did I know what a garridge was. :biggrin:

Some more of my easy-listening favorites:

Laughter in the Rain


Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast


Maggie May


Tonight's the Night


Lady in Red


We've Only Just Begun


Rainy Days and Mondays


Close to You


Leaving on a Jet Plane


I'm a believer


Spiders and Snakes


A Boy Named Sue


Mountains o'Mourne [I could only find a clip]: Lyrics written in 1896.
http://www.last.fm/music/Don+McLean/_/Mountains+O'Mourne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mountains_of_Mourne
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Tosh: Mystic Man




Peter Tosh's songs are a little different breed of reggae.

___________________________________________

I was thinking about Carly Simon's songs---They (some) are the audible side of what a lot of men like (or would like) to hear from their woman
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu too! When this came out, for the longest time I didn't realize that it was done by Elton; nor did I know what a garridge was. :biggrin:

Then has Tsu heard the "orchestral" version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"? She re-recorded this for her "Both Sides Now" album, and man, this tune, in my book, has to be THE best song of all time. I heard it for the first time a few months after Sept. 11, and somehow, the lyrics took on a new meaning all of the sudden.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
Then has Tsu heard the "orchestral" version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"? She re-recorded this for her "Both Sides Now" album, and man, this tune, in my book, has to be THE best song of all time. I heard it for the first time a few months after Sept. 11, and somehow, the lyrics took on a new meaning all of the sudden.

Zz.

I didn't mean to exclude myself on Levon. That is easily in my top five.

Do you mean this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQlfFuQFXo&feature=related
 
ZapperZ said:
That's the one.

Zz.

I see what you mean about it taking on an entirely new meaning.

Very nice!
 
Hmm

Piano Man - Billy Joel - it's just a classic

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, and Your Song - Elton John

Stadium Arcadium, Soul to Squeeze - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Hotel California - Eagles

Escape (that pina colada song) - Rupert Holmes

Redemption Song, Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley

As pump-up music: In the End - Linkin Park (their only good song imo)
 
Last edited:
Traffic - Rainmaker (live) - 1972


Traffic - Rainmaker



Unfortunately, several videos on Youtube have been removed for copyright violations. I don't know how long these will be active.


I used to download free mp3's back in the days of Napster and some precursors, but I eventually went out a bought CD's of most of the groups - mostly classic rock. So I have the same music on LP and CD - i.e. I paid twice for the same piece of music. The record companies need to be more reasonable in their pricing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I used to download free mp3's back in the days of Napster and some precursors, but I eventually went out a bought CD's of most of the groups - mostly classic rock. So I have the same music on LP and CD - i.e. I paid twice for the same piece of music. The record companies need to be more reasonable in their pricing.
I have over 300 albums and well over 400 CDs, and there are LOTS of duplicates. We're at the point where record companies could release entire catalogs of artists on one or two DVDs with liner notes, cover art, extras, etc, but it's never going to happen.
 
I came across a Hang Drum - interesting. That lead me to several examples of the hammer dulcimer.

New Song on Hang Drum (2005 "melog" scale)


Sunset Hang Drumming Jam #2



hang drum and hammered dulcimer jam



Rakes of Kildare Hammered Dulcimer



folk jig medieval hammered dulcimer girl 2


Mermaid Medieval Hammered Dulcimer



Fast Hands - Max ZT (This guy is great!)


Great Lakes Medieval Faire Vince Conaway 07 (This guy is also very good!)



Hammered Dulcimer Duo Cosmic Sister. FIRST PERFORMANCE!


Bonnie Doone/Going Home Medley on mt..dulcimer



Hammered Dulcimer to Replace Electric Guitar


Dan Landrum hammered dulcimer



Hammered Dulcimer 17/16 (slow - mellow)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite piece by Ralph Vaughn Williams, and perhaps one of the finest pieces of classical music, certainly one of the finest out of England.


The Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams



The Lark Ascending (Rare Version)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
If not mentioned already, this one has to go down as a classic.
Puff the Magic Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVxBVI3Rx_Y&feature=related

This is probably the second song that I learned as a young child.

Another classic from PP&M
If I had a hammer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKvpONl3No&feature=related
I remember PtMD. My father listened to PP&M and Pete Seeger, so I heard it quite often. Seeger lives nearby, and I've met him a few times. He sung at memorial service of a mutual friend. Quite a guy!


Seeds of light...from Sun The Ra to afriKA
- cool video. A different way of looking at the galaxy, the Earth and the sun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat of an obscure group - Armageddon (from 1975). Silver Tightrope was a favorite tune from that year.

Keith Relf (Yardbirds) was a member, but unfortunately he died tragically the following year ('76) after the release of their only album, Armageddon. In 1976, Relf was electrocuted by an impropertly grounded electric guitar! That still puzzles me, since I've been electrocuted several times, and I'm still around. :frown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_(Armageddon_album)
http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/armauk.htm


Armageddon - Silver Tightrope


Armageddon - Paths and Planes and Future Gains


Armageddon - Buzzard
 
Last edited by a moderator: