What is the Best Saxophone Song?
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Physics news on Phys.org
binzing
- 281
- 0
Jeremy-by Pearl Jam is good. But like any good grunge song it is based around something really deep, in this case a kid commiting suicide at school.
Last edited:
SticksandStones
- 88
- 0
Zenparticle said::!)- awesome I love Nightwish! They will be in SF Nov.2nd I have Tickets! It has been tough adjusting to Anette over the beloved Tarja but here's a link to one of the songs I love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQ9YV9v9Yg"
Tool is my all time favorite-(Warning: Hard stuff)
"stinkfist"
and just incase that didnt disturb you enough here is anotherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hii17sjSwfA"
Vicarious has to be one of the best songs ever written. It's easy enough to just get carried away by the bass but if you listen to the lyrics it's actually quite deep.
Now for my 2nd-Favorite Led Zeppelin song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ArWLI908i4
Led Zeppelin's Achilles' Last Stand
I hope they keep touring long enough for me to see them in concert.
Last edited by a moderator:
binzing
- 281
- 0
I love Seattle and its music. Its pretty much the ONLY big city I'd live in.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
I'm sure it's been posted, but having just 'discovered' the greatness of this band, here is The Chain by Fleetwood Mac:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Csatmi34YEk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Csatmi34YEk
_Mayday_
- 808
- 0
Any ZZ Top fans in the house?
ZZ Top - La Grange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5TVV3wqrZY"
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life by the drop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZPMScX9-k"
Enjoy
ZZ Top - La Grange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5TVV3wqrZY"
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life by the drop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZPMScX9-k"
Enjoy
Last edited by a moderator:
moe darklight
- 409
- 0
The only video I could find on the internet from my favorite band of the 90's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlynAfC39BM"
Bonsai Superstar is a better album than my own mother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlynAfC39BM"
Bonsai Superstar is a better album than my own mother.
Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops
- 732
- 1
When Death Calls - Black Sabbath
Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden Yes, the entire poem.
Part 1:
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfW-6pgA60A&feature=related
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Megadeth
Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden Yes, the entire poem.
Part 1:
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfW-6pgA60A&feature=related
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Megadeth
Last edited by a moderator:
RonL
Gold Member
- 1,108
- 219
lisab said:Any fans of the late great Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole?
lisab! I love how he sang that old song, thanks
Last edited by a moderator:
tabc
- 5
- 0
I didn't read all posts so I don't know, did anyone mentioned Andy Mckee?
Here's Rylynn from him:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
Here's Rylynn from him:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
I posted Andy McKee in the youtube classics thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1274963&postcount=139
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1274963&postcount=139
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
lisab said:Any fans of the late great Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole?
God I've heard that in a movie, and loved it? Can anyone remember which one?
Anyway I was thinking of all the greats I've heard then just though of something very great most people don't get to here. Being a bit of a musical whore I just thought instead of putting up: The Beatles, or The Who, or Red Hot Chile Peppers or QoTSA, I'd put his up because this guy sold his soul he's that good. If he didn't then wow.
I have a limited edition compilation of both him and Howling Wolf, their best of. Just incredible, I was just blown away by the whole music scene then. Really opened my eyes to what music was all about and where it came from. Being a fan of the stuff I heard when I was born to the stuff now, looking back past your scene just makes you go, OMG!
You aint heard nothing yet.
It's like living life in your present without ever hearing classical music.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
Schrödinger's Dog said:God I've heard that in a movie, and loved it? Can anyone remember which one?
Take your pick.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0436377/
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Hehe. Thanks. 
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Kurdt said:
WOW! I had no idea there were so many!
I've heard it in commercials, too.
rewebster
- 883
- 2
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Nina+Simone/track/Sinnerman
Hard to believe it was recorded 42 years ago--- --its got a great high energy feel to it--first time that I had heard it was in the film--now when I play it, it also wraps with it the part from the movie.
It was used as a soundtrack in a recent remake ---which are both good. The clip of recent one I think is third down on the list on the right that uses the song.
If you haven't seen it--the movie (to me, its a chic flick) is about a high maintenance, type 'A' female who finally realizes that life is more than money and a job---but, realistically from a critical looking, the guy is handsome, extremely more rich than her, willing to go to jail and loose it all over HER-----'her' ultimate knight in shining armor-----still, a good film for a chic flick
------------
I think the 'final' turning point in the film for her is when the detective says
"..then, he knew you were going to betray him..."
Hard to believe it was recorded 42 years ago--- --its got a great high energy feel to it--first time that I had heard it was in the film--now when I play it, it also wraps with it the part from the movie.
It was used as a soundtrack in a recent remake ---which are both good. The clip of recent one I think is third down on the list on the right that uses the song.
If you haven't seen it--the movie (to me, its a chic flick) is about a high maintenance, type 'A' female who finally realizes that life is more than money and a job---but, realistically from a critical looking, the guy is handsome, extremely more rich than her, willing to go to jail and loose it all over HER-----'her' ultimate knight in shining armor-----still, a good film for a chic flick
------------
I think the 'final' turning point in the film for her is when the detective says
"..then, he knew you were going to betray him..."
Last edited by a moderator:
B. Elliott
- 264
- 10
Here lately I've been on a Blues Image and Grassroots stint
Midnight Confessions
Ride Captain Ride
Midnight Confessions
Ride Captain Ride
Last edited by a moderator:
vincentm
- 322
- 3
Alice in Chains - got me wrong
Alice in Chains - No excuses
Alice in Chains - Heaven besides you
Led Zeppelin - Bron-y Aur Stomp
Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey what can i say
Pearl Jam - No way
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Pearl Jam - brain of JFK
The Animals - Don't let me be misunderstood
Black Sabbath - ParanoidHell, i could go on and on...
Alice in Chains - No excuses
Alice in Chains - Heaven besides you
Led Zeppelin - Bron-y Aur Stomp
Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey what can i say
Pearl Jam - No way
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Pearl Jam - brain of JFK
The Animals - Don't let me be misunderstood
Black Sabbath - ParanoidHell, i could go on and on...
Electron17
- 20
- 0
JamesU said:Rush's 2112, which has unfortunatey is synched with Willy Wonka :/
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PUiCJMG7CHQ
Led Zeppelin's Achilles' Last Stand:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DbQz14Jr7L0
ALS is my favourite Led Zeppelin song. I don't know why it isn't more popular.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJ4xpiYS1fI
Lauryn Hill-Mystery of Iniquity
I realize there are few hip-hop fans on here, but this song doesn't really qualify as hip-hop, it's more of a poetic rap. Good stuff either way. Non-rap/hip-hop fans should check this one out.
Lauryn Hill-Mystery of Iniquity
I realize there are few hip-hop fans on here, but this song doesn't really qualify as hip-hop, it's more of a poetic rap. Good stuff either way. Non-rap/hip-hop fans should check this one out.
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCoN6CvMfQg&feature=related
Camouflage - The Great Commandment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfbG4CulOFs&feature=related
Handsome
I love 85. Super duper 80ish hah...
Camouflage - The Great Commandment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfbG4CulOFs&feature=related
Handsome
I love 85. Super duper 80ish hah...
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,954
- 777
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (1971)
Released in '71... the same year of Lennon's "Imagine", Harrison's "My Sweet Lord', Stewart's "Maggie May", the Stone's "Brown Sugar".
Nothing came close to this gem. It was decades ahead of it's time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pywl9zNIE&feature=related"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgZm03tci0"
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time.
For y’all have knocked her up!
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the Universe.
I was not offended.
For I knew that I had to rise above it all,
Or drown in my own sh*t!
Maggot Brain
From Wiki:
According to legend, George Clinton, under the influence of LSD, told Eddie Hazel to play the first half of the song like his mother had just died and to play the second half as if he had found out she was alive (other variants of the story suggest that he was simply told to play as if he had found his mother dead.) The result was the 10-minute guitar solo for which Hazel is most fondly remembered by many music critics and fans.
Released in '71... the same year of Lennon's "Imagine", Harrison's "My Sweet Lord', Stewart's "Maggie May", the Stone's "Brown Sugar".
Nothing came close to this gem. It was decades ahead of it's time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pywl9zNIE&feature=related"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGgZm03tci0"
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time.
For y’all have knocked her up!
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the Universe.
I was not offended.
For I knew that I had to rise above it all,
Or drown in my own sh*t!
Maggot Brain
From Wiki:
According to legend, George Clinton, under the influence of LSD, told Eddie Hazel to play the first half of the song like his mother had just died and to play the second half as if he had found out she was alive (other variants of the story suggest that he was simply told to play as if he had found his mother dead.) The result was the 10-minute guitar solo for which Hazel is most fondly remembered by many music critics and fans.
Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Agreed. I must be decades behind mine.chemisttree said:Nothing came close to this gem. It was decades ahead of it's time.
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
Well it's the http://www.karajan100anniversary.com/ today
On top of the short list of his best works is http://www.karajan100anniversary.com/ . Unfortunately not found so far on youtube.
Another excellent dynamic performance then, of the Moldau
part 2
But the best symphony ever written, conducted by the best conductor ever.
On top of the short list of his best works is http://www.karajan100anniversary.com/ . Unfortunately not found so far on youtube.
Another excellent dynamic performance then, of the Moldau
part 2
But the best symphony ever written, conducted by the best conductor ever.
Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops
- 732
- 1
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,954
- 777
Andre said:Well it's the http://www.karajan100anniversary.com/ today
On top of the short list of his best works is http://www.karajan100anniversary.com/ . Unfortunately not found so far on youtube.
Another performance then, of the Moldau
But the best symphony ever written, conducted by the best conductor ever.
My first introduction to classical music was Karajan conducting Beethoven's 5th symphony. I haven't found any version as good as the one I first heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhcR1ZS2hVo"
Wow! The whole thing is on Youtube!
Last edited by a moderator:
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
vincentm said:Black Sabbath - ParanoidHell, i could go on and on...
Do.
Man with taste especially Pearl Jam, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbxfe7DMxVo", now that's a nice track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-_up5dSW0"
But this song has a place in my heart as I saw it live at The Ozz Fest with Dave Grohl on drums and had never heard the band before. And I was pretty blown away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8_v7Xt6mI"
Also saw Ozzy play with Tony Iommi , quite a show.
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
I heart it too many times I think, but it's on the short list for the title and I'm living only 10 miles from that river.
Same conductor:
A more fortissimo version:
Same conductor:
A more fortissimo version:
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- Daniel Petka
- · Replies 92 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 92
- Anton Alice
- · Replies 6 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 6
- JonnyG
- · Replies 4 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 4
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 7 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 7
- micromass
- · Replies 106 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 106
- strangerep
- · Replies 30 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 30
- icarus5
- · Replies 13 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 13
- Evo
- · Replies 91 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 91
- Stratosphere
- · Replies 3 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 3
- hypatia
- · Replies 108 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 108